Chapter 49

THE RAIN drummed steadily against the windows, creating a soothing symphony that filled the cozy living room. Lorna and Halima sat on the floor, wrapped in a soft, oversized blanket that cocooned them. The flickering light from the laptop screen cast a gentle glow, illuminating their faces as they watched a film together. The room was dimly lit, with only a few candles flickering on the coffee table, adding to the intimate ambiance.

They had spread an array of snacks on the beanbags in front of them: popcorn, chocolate, and a bowl of mixed berries. The scent of buttery popcorn mingled with the subtle aroma of the rain-soaked earth outside, creating a comforting blend of sensory delights.

Lorna's hands were nestled under Halima's shirt, her fingers tracing lazy, affectionate patterns on Halima's skin. Each touch was tender, sending shivers of pleasure down Halima's spine. She leaned into Lorna's embrace, feeling the warmth of her body against her own, the rise and fall of her breath, the steady beat of her heart.

The movie played on, but Halima's focus was on the sensations coursing through her, the gentle caresses of Lorna's hands, the soft hum of her voice as she occasionally whispered sweet nothings in Halima's ear. She felt safe and completely at ease, especially when Lorna's fingertips traced under her boobs, her touch getting more intentional with each second.

Lorna's fingers ventured further, tracing delicate lines along Halima's skin before finding their way to her breasts. She gently teased Halima's nipples, eliciting soft gasps and shivers from her. Lorna pushed Halima's hair to the side, exposing her neck and pressing a series of soft, lingering kisses along the sensitive skin. Halima exhaled shakily, leaning back against Lorna's front, her hands grabbing onto Lorna's thighs for support. The intimacy of Lorna's touch, coupled with the warmth of her breath against her neck, made Halima's heart race and her breath come in shallow bursts, each sensation heightening her desire and pulling them closer together.

"You know," Lorna whispered, her breath warm and voice husky against Halima's neck, "I could stay like this forever."

Halima smiled, her heart swelling with affection. She exhaled harshly. "Me too, Lo. This is perfect."

Halima turned to look at Lorna, and in that moment, Lorna tenderly kissed her. It was overwhelming and soft, a slow, lingering touch of lips that left them both breathless. The rain outside intensified, its rhythmic drumming creating a cocoon of sound that made the world beyond their cosy haven feel distant and insignificant.

Just as Halima was about to suggest they pause the movie and make some hot tea, there was a sudden, sharp knock at the door. The sound was jarring, slicing through the peaceful atmosphere like a knife. Halima's heart dropped to her stomach, a wave of anxiety washing over her.

"Who could that be?" Lorna murmured, her brow furrowing.

"I... I don't know," Halima replied, her voice trembling slightly. They hadn't been expecting anyone and the thought of an unexpected visitor filled her with dread. She cautiously approached the door, peering through the peephole.

Her heart seized in her chest. "It's my mum," she whispered, panic creeping into her voice.

Lorna's eyes widened. "Okay, don't panic," she said, her tone calm but urgent. "Let's just hide some stuff, anything that may give us away."

They sprang into action. Lorna quickly tidied up the living room, tossing any telltale items—a shared mug, Lorna's book—into a drawer. She then hurried to their shared bedroom, slipping into the bathroom to hide. The wardrobe was too small, and the bathroom, while not ideal, would at least keep her out of sight.

Halima took a deep breath, trying to steady her racing heart, and opened the door. "Assalam aleikum Mum, I thought you were coming on Monday?" she asked, forcing a smile.