Chapter 52

HALIMA lay on the bed, scrolling through her phone with a frown. Her conversation with Kate replayed in her mind, a knot of worry tightening in her chest despite the soothing foot therapy she had just enjoyed with Lorna.

Lorna watched Halima from across the room, her heart aching at the sight of her downcast mood. She had planned something special for dinner but sensed it wasn't the right moment. Instead, she decided to pivot her plans.

Halima sighed as no reply came after ten minutes. She'd sent Catherine a text message asking if they could talk. Frustrated, she turned on airplane mode and put her phone on the nightstand. Closing her eyes, she exhaled softly, her thoughts jumbled. Was she being too hard on Catherine? Or maybe selfish. Why was she so against the possibility of Catherine ending up with her cousin?

She heard Lorna moving about in the room but kept her eyes shut. Her heart clenched with guilt as she realized how unappreciative she must seem. Lorna had made this trip special to help her escape from the stress of her family, and yet here she was, still consumed by worry. She turned away from the door, and lay on her side, pondering what she ought to do.

Quietly, Lorna slipped out of the room and headed to the bathroom. She set about disinfecting the bathtub. The hotel staff was accommodating when she requested a few candles and flowers, and she made a quick trip to the hotel's gift shop to grab some chocolates, candies, and lavender-scented bath bombs.

Returning to the bathroom, Lorna filled the tub with warm water, the steam rising gently. She scattered the flower petals across the surface and dropped in the bath bombs, watching as they fizzed and dissolved. She carefully placed Halima's skincare products on the side of the bathtub, within easy reach.

With the setup complete, Lorna stepped back to admire her work. The bathroom was transformed into a cosy, inviting sanctuary, illuminated by the soft glow of candlelight and filled with the relaxing scent of lavender.

Lorna returned to the bedroom and saw Halima lying on her side, eyes closed. She approached the bed, a gentle smile on her lips.

"Hey, doll," Lorna said softly, sitting down next to Halima. "I have a little surprise for you."

Halima looked up, her expression shifting from confusion to curiosity. "A surprise?"

Lorna nodded, taking Halima's hand and guiding her to the bathroom. As they entered, Halima's eyes widened in awe at the sight before her. The candles cast a warm, flickering light across the room, the flower petals floated delicately on the water's surface, and the scent of lavender filled the air.

"Lo, this is... this is amazing," Halima whispered, her eyes shimmering with gratitude and a touch of guilt. She swallowed hard and glanced at Lorna. All Lorna had done since they got together was always consider her and take care of her, yet she felt as though she wasn't appreciative enough.

"Halima, I understand things are hard, with your mum, and now Kate. But I'm here for you. I hope you know that. Always. Also, I thought this might help you relax," Lorna said, her voice tender.

Halima gulped, her eyes watery. "I know, Lo. Thank you so much. You've done so much for me—" she exhaled shakily.

"—I sometimes come off as ungrateful—" Lorna shook her head, cutting her off.

The lump in Halima's throat grew as she pushed back her tears. "No, really, Lo. It does seem that way, but I really do appreciate you in my life. And I'm so sorry that I let things get in the way, especially when it comes to us spending time together."

"Baby, I understand that. And I appreciate you too, a lot. I just want us to find a better way to handle such things when they happen."

Halima inhaled deeply, "You're right, Lo. I also really gotta work on responding to things and not acting impulsively."

She wrapped her arms around Lorna's waist and laid her head against her chest. "Can we get in the tub? I think the water's getting cold."

Lorna chuckled softly and kissed the top of her head. "I planned this for you, so you can relax."

Halima looked up and grinned lazily. "I know, but can you join me, please?"

Lorna hesitated, then smiled and nodded. "Of course."

They undressed and stepped into the tub together, the warm water and lavender scent immediately soothing their senses. Lorna sat with her back against the edge, with Halima nestled between her legs, leaning back against her chest. The warmth of the water surrounded them, a soothing cocoon that seemed to hold the rest of the world at bay. Lorna's hands moved gently, playing with Halima's hair, her fingers rubbing soothing circles on Halima's scalp.

Halima closed her eyes, letting out a soft sigh as she relaxed into Lorna's touch. They sat in silence for a few minutes until Halima spoke.

"I may have been too harsh on Kate, and I know it's not the first time I've acted this way. I really need to apologize."

Lorna hummed, a brief silence followed, and then she spoke. "What is it that you're so afraid of?"

Halima paused and sighed, a question she'd been asking herself. "I guess I'm mostly worried it won't work out and then I'll be in between two people I love. I care about both of them, I just don't want there to be a rift in case of anything."

Lorna's hands paused. "How do you know it's not going to work out if you don't give them a chance?"

Halima didn't have an answer to that question. She realized that it was between Catherine and Somi, and they could handle themselves. Just because she was worried about the future didn't mean she had to get in the way if they were serious about each other. She only needed to support them and be happy for them. She would be there for both of them when they needed her. With that resolve, she knew she had to talk to both of them and apologize.

They stayed in the tub until the water began to cool, savoring their relationship's closeness and newfound depth. When they finally emerged, they wrapped themselves in fluffy towels, the warmth of the bath lingering on their skin.

Lorna handed Halima a piece of chocolate, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "We haven't had supper yet, so I ordered room service. It should be here any moment."

Halima laughed, taking the chocolate and popping it into her mouth. "That sounds so good, right now."

They dressed in their pyjamas and settled onto the bed, cuddling under the covers.