(Chaos Arc) Chapter 4 - The Dragon

The school break was always the time for relaxation, traveling, and having fun. That was for most teenagers. But that didn't apply to Kouryu (Japanese for 'Yellow Dragon', written as "黄龍"), whose job was to not only study, but train.

The reason was simple; he was different from other humans.

He was of average height, but not bad looking, and had the stature of a seasoned fighter. He fought since he was a kid, adopted by a retired martial arts teacher and professor, Professor Keiji Sumeragi, living in the Isan (North East) Region of Thailand.

Since young, he inherited a lot of knowledge from his foster parents. Languages, fighting skills etc. However, there was something different about him as compared to other orphans who were adopted.

He wasn't human. He had a constitution similar to a human, but he could transform into something else.

Or rather, he was something else, but could transform into a human. Which one came first? No one actually knows.

What kind of being was he? In his dreams, he was told that he has the power of a dragon, but not just any dragon. Reptilian beings like dragons were supposed to have scales like what fishes would have, but his were not scales, but spikes. Yellowish translucent spikes. His face remained humanoid apart from a blackish dot for his nose.

And the best thing was he had the ability to move at lightning speed, and had the strength to shatter large rocks, and he had the ability to render himself invisible or blend in with the surroundings, almost like a chameleon.

The locals sometimes feel the impact of the wind or see flashes of lightning in the sky, which was caused by his self-directed training by harnessing the forces of nature as his training weapon, and some were superstitious enough to set up shrines to honour or seek mercy from whatever gods or spirits who were responsible for such supernatural phenomenon. Of course, much care has been done to ensure that no one gets hurt or dies in the process.

Kouryu was a very perceptive fighter and was very aware of his surroundings.

While he was growing up there, crime levels were down to zero, to the extent that the police had nothing much to do.

Kouryu was the one who was responsible. Robberies, attempted murders, attempted suicides, all these went down to an all-time low, but only in the region where he lived.

But this was not just out of a sense of justice.

It was part of his self-directed training. For self-satisfaction.

The people referred to the mysterious hero as "Prajao mangkorn si-luerng (พระเจ้ามังกรสิเหลือง)", or "Yellow Dragon God".

Some said he looked similar to a video game character called "Sonic the Hedgehog", but Thai version.

And this was not a movie or game character, but more of a divine vision by those who witnessed his appearance, albeit momentarily, when Kouryu was careless enough to reveal himself.

Except that Kouryu was not Thai. He was Japanese.

Correction, his adopted father was Japanese, and his mother was Thai. But his own nationality and race was unknown.

His father found him when he was young, at a very young age.

In his home world, he escaped an attack and teleported to this world. Professor Sumeragi found him when he was doing his training in the jungle. Being on edge, the boy got on the defensive and started using his powers to fight. However, Professor Sumeragi also had the skills and powers to fight back.