Chapter 18

I HELP SHRUG get his pants on and lay him on his side so the wound is facin' up. I can tell while helpin' him that the bullet is still in his shoulder. We got to get it out before he can start healin', and hope he don't lose too much blood in the process.

I carefully get his shirt back on, then take mine off, fold it as small as I can, and place it inside his shirt over the wound. Then I arrange him so he's layin' on his back, against the side of the hill with his head higher than his feet, which allows the hillside to keep pressure on his wound.

"I bought that saloon we talked about last fall," I say.

He nods. Then lifts his right hand and rubs his thumb and fingers together while raisin' his eyebrows.

"We do all right. But it ain't as profitable as I was led to believe.

He moves his hand to his face and makes a sort of mask, then slides it down. That's his sign for Gentry.

"Yep, we're still together, and she's still the prettiest woman in Kansas, as far as I'm concerned, and a great business woman too. Why, if it weren't for Gentry's whores, we'd be losin' money. I think that'll change, now that I got all the repairs behind us. Oh, and I built an indoor jail hole. First one ever."

Shrug looks at me curiously, holds his thumb and index finger over his nose.

"Yeah, Gentry says the same thing. But I got plans to solve that."

He gives me a skeptical look.

"Reason I mentioned the saloon, I got Gentry and five whores there who can take care of you, and a clean bed you can sleep in. You know three of 'em. Emma, Leah, and Hester."

He nods.

"There's a doctor in town who can dig this bullet out of you usin' ether that's so strong so you won't even feel it. At least till the next day, when it'll hurt like hell."

Shrug smiles, but shakes his head.

I sigh. "Figured you'd say that."

Then I say, "Will you be okay here while I fetch my horse?"

He nods.

"Okay then, I'll get Major. I've got a sandwich for you, too. Finest one I ever ate. Where's your water?"

He motions to his right.

"I'll get it."

I start walkin' in the direction he pointed, to the tall grass, and in minutes I find the leather straps that lead to the canteens he started his trip with. I also notice the two remainin' horses are still standin' where they were hours ago, when the shootin' started. I 'spect the horse he shot belonged to one of his partners, since a man would shoot his own horse last and the worst one first.

While I don't approve of mistreatin' animals, it crosses my mind for the second time that if Teddy was the worst of their horses, mine deserves a good cussin'. I won't cuss Major, 'cause ornery as he is, we been through a lot together. Havin' said that, I might give these other two horses a try and see if they'll follow my direction.

Then I realize I don't know their names.

Probably so well-trained they won't do anythin' for me less I call 'em by their names.

Shrug can't use his left arm without feelin' severe pain, but his right hand is all he needs to enjoy Wing Ding's sandwich.

"Helluva sandwich, right?"

Shrug nods. Then raises his eyebrows.

"Don't know what's in it. Some sort of Chinese cookin'. Guy named Wing Ding. He's the one helped me dig my jail hole. I hired him last night to work full-time. He's gonna take over all the cookin' duties. You can eat like this every day if you come to my place to heal."

He smiles.

Then I get an idea.

"Look. I know you don't like towns, and don't like bein' seen. But I can wait here with you till it's dark. Bring you in the back way. No one'll see you."

He ponders it.

"Did I mention I've got five whores who live on the same floor?"

His lips curl into what I've come to recognize as a smile.

Then, to my surprise, he nods.

"You will? You'll let me take you to town?"

He nods again.

"Well, that's wonderful! Gentry'll be thrilled!"

Then Shrug makes a fist, and opens it and wiggles his fingers. That's his sign for Rose.

I frown. "You never said why you left Rose. I thought you'd be happy there."

He moves his hand, makin' signs until I realize what he's tryin' to say.

"Are you tellin' me Rose is on her way here?"

He nods.

"Why?"

He points at me.

"She's comin' to see me?"

He nods again.

"Why? I mean, that's wonderful, but why? Is there somethin' wrong?"

He nods.

"What?"

He shrugs.

It's difficult gettin' detailed information out of Shrug. What makes it worse is, apparently he can speak perfect English. At least, accordin' to Phoebe, who traveled with us the last time Shrug scouted for me. So I don't know it to be true, but accordin' to Phoebe-who never lied that I know of-Shrug not only speaks perfect English, but French too, and has a beautiful singin' voice to boot.

But he won't speak to me. I don't know why. Guess maybe I offended him those first two years we traveled together when I assumed he couldn't speak, and never bothered to ask if he could.

"You were what, a day ahead of her?"

He shakes his head and holds up four fingers. Then holds up three more.

"Seven hours?"

He nods.

I do the math in my head and say, "So Rose should be comin' through here in what, about three hours?"

He holds up four fingers and points behind us, and makes a curvin' motion, then moves his hand straight up, which I understand as bein' his sign for a mountain.

"You mean this big hill here?"

He shakes his head, no.

"Well that don't make sense," I say, knowin' he can hear the frustration in my voice. "There ain't no mountains around here. Wait-are you talkin' about the cliffs of the Arkansas River? Past the sulfur pits?"

He shakes his head again.

"Good, 'cause that makes no sense, either. Rose'd follow the trail through Newton like we always do. Then, ten miles north of Dodge, she'd head due south, which'd put her about a half mile east of here, just like always."

He signs it again, slowly.

I frown and say it out loud as he signs it. "When Rose comes here...she'll travel around the...mountain?"

He makes a sign for horses.

"What? No oxen?"

Shrug shakes his head, then holds up three fingers, twice.

"You're tellin' me Rose is travelin' with six horses and no oxen? Why, that's insane!"

He shrugs and starts signin' it again, from the start.

I repeat, "Rose is drivin' six horses, no oxen, and they're goin' to circle some fargin' mountain that ain't even around here."

Shrug starts quietly laughin' till the tears come out of his eyes, and I wonder if maybe the pain from his wound has affected his mind.

I say it again, changin' up the words a bit, tryin' to make sense of it.

Then it hits me.

"You shithead!" I say.

Then I start laughin', toss my head back and sing, "She'll be comin' round the mountain when she comes!"