Chapter 28

I JUMP TO my feet while drawin' my gun and surprise myself by shootin' the fuse off the end of the stick just before it blows. I take a deep breath and try to cipher what just happened. Suddenly the door is kicked open and another stick of dynamite comes flyin' through. This one hits the table and bounces up. Before it hits the ground I manage to shoot the fuse off that one as well.

Furious, I holster my gun and start walkin' straight for the front door with quick steps. While I'm doin' that, nine things happen at the same time.

First, the door gets kicked open again.

Second, another stick of dynamite comes flyin' through.

Third, I catch the dynamite in my right hand and crush the fuse against my chest to snuff it out. I do all this without breakin' my stride.

Fourth, I drop the dynamite, and draw my gun, all in the same motion.

Fifth, I hear Bose Rennick's gorgeous voice on the far side of the room, behind me. "That's mighty fine shootin', Sheriff."

Sixth, I hear six clicks come from Bose's gun and wonder how he could've forgot to load it with bullets.

Seventh, without even turnin' my head, I yell, "Rudy: Tag!"

Eighth, I pull open the front door and see Sam Hartman standin' a few feet away, lightin' another stick of dynamite. He gives me an "Oh, shit!" look and I shoot him in the center of his chest.

Ninth, Rudy "tags" Bose so hard he slams into the wall, and hits the floor, unconscious.

As I cross the floor toward Bose, I hear the stick of dynamite explode in the street. It shatters my front door, sendin' all kinds of wood and glass splinters flyin' everywhere, but I don't so much as turn around. I just keep walkin' toward Bose, with my gun aimed on him. When I'm standin' over him, I put my gun a few inches from his head and pull the trigger.

But the only sound my gun makes is a click.

I pull the trigger again, get another click.

A gunman always knows how many bullets he's got, and I know I shot two fuses, a man, and just now, two clicks. Which means I've got another bullet in the chamber. I pull the trigger once more.

Click.

Bose comes to, and looks up at me with his terrifyin', crazy eyes. I draw back my gun, to crash it against his skull. It ain't sportin', but neither is a dynamite ambush.

I aim to kill him, once and for all.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Rose move behind me. Bose sees what I'm up to and knows he's helpless. He don't even try to speak, just closes his eyes and waits for me to bust his skull. I start to do it, but at the last possible second, Rose says somethin' that shatters everythin' I ever thought I knew or understood. I hear the words, but they make no sense.

I'm dumbstruck.

So confused am I, she has to repeat her words.

From behind me, for the second time, Rose says, "Let him go, Emmett."

I turn my head just enough to see her holdin' a gun on me.