Chapter 32

"HEARD YOU GOT eighty-eight dollars off Bose Rennick," Mayor Ha-a-a-averhouse says.

"Word travels fast."

"I'm two doors down."

"Right."

"Forty-four of that goes to the Town Council," he says.

"Minus his burial fee."

"Thirty-nine, then."

The tiny Mayor looks twice as small standin' between Bob Robert, who must certainly be the world's tallest man, and Harry Haverhouse, the world's widest.

"What about the damage to my store?" I say.

"Sam Hartman owes you for that."

I frown. "Do you three always travel together?"

"What three?"

I count out thirty-nine dollars and hand it to him.

He gives thirteen each to Bob and Harry. Then says, "What I'm about to ask is meant as a compliment."

"Ask it then."

He puts three dollars in his pocket and holds the other ten where I can see it. Then says, "Is Gentry still taking customers?"

I try to keep the edge outta my voice, and the steel outta my stare when I say "No." But he can tell I'm simmerin' inside.

"Relax, Sheriff. It was a fair question, and now I've got my answer."

It was a fair question, given Gentry's history. But that don't mean I approve of it.

Mayor Ha-a-a-averhouse says, "We're gentlemen here, there's no cause to be insulted. The subject will never come up again. You have my word."

I nod. "See that it don't."

The little man smiles what I take to be a genuinely warm smile. "I'm very happy for you," he says. "Gentry's clearly a wonderful woman. I'd even go so far as to say she's a one-in-a-million. Please accept my apology."

He bows.

It were a hell of an apology. I had to take it.

"Fair enough," I say. "Bygones."

I notice he's still holding the ten dollars out. "Somethin' else I can do for you?"

"Another question," he says.

"Ask it."

"What about the bear?"

"Rudy?"

"Yes."

"What about him?"

He waves the ten dollars and licks his lips.

What he's askin for don't sink into my brain immediately, but when it does I give him a double look and start rollin' up my sleeves. I don't care how short, tall, and wide these circus folk are. You don't come into my place and ask to fuck my woman and my bear in the same conversation.

The Mayor gets a frightened look on his face and starts movin' away at a quick pace. "Let me know if you recover any money from Hartman!" he calls over his shoulder.

Gentry comes up behind me and puts her hand on my shoulder.

"You okay, honey?"

"Them fellers got me riled."

"I can tell. You were rolling up your sleeves. I was worried."

"Well, everythin's fine. For now. But you need to stay away from them fellers."

"Are they dangerous?"

"I don't think so. But they're mighty disgustin'. At least the Mayor is."

"What did he want?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"I've seen and heard a lot in my seventeen years."

"You ain't heard this."

"Try me."

"He wants to poke the bear."

She cocks her head. "By poke, you don't mean..."

"I do."

Gentry ain't as disgusted as I figured she'd be. In fact, she starts laughin'.

"You think that's funny?"

"Just the picture it puts in my head," she says. Then laughs again, harder.

"What now?"

"I was picturing it going the other way."

"What other way?"

She giggles. "Rudy poking the Mayor."

"What?"

She laughs again.

I try not to think about it, but now she's put the picture in my head and I can't shake it out. I don't laugh with her, 'cause it's Rudy we're talkin' about.

But I can't help smilin'.