Chapter 10

Nitya

Sitting on the edge of the bed, I feel my heart pounding in my chest, my fingers trembling as I clutch the edge of the blanket.

The room is dimly lit and has such eerie silence that it amplifies my anxiety.

Prathamji's words play in my mind, his eyes burning with fury and voice laced with anger.

"Aaj main apne pati hone ka haq jataunga aur tum patni hone ka farz nibhaogi."

("I will claim my rights on you as your husband and you will fulfill all your duties of being my wife.")

I glance at the door, half expecting it to swing open at any second, half dreading it.

I try to steady my racing thoughts, to calm the storm of emotions swirling within me, but it is of no use. The fear is too overwhelming.

Hugging my knees to my chest, as I try to find some semblance of comfort in the small, enclosed position, I feel my mind racing with questions.

Would he still be angry? Won't he listen to me even once? Will he really claim his right on me tonight even after knowing that I am not ready for it?

My stomach churns with anxiety.

Ever since I have gotten married, I have done everything to be a dutiful wife and daughter-in-law. Tolerated the taunts, fulfilled all my responsibilities without any complaints. But nothing seems to be enough. No one is happy with me.

And Prathamji....

Well, how can he be happy with me when he did not even want to marry me in the first place?

I take a deep breath, trying to lessen the pain that thought brings within me.

Perhaps his anger will decrease after I reason with him?

If I can find the right words to clear his misunderstanding, I may be able to ease his anger.

Right now, he thinks that I see nothing wrong in what Yash bhaiyya did. But that is not the case. I just could not say anything back in his office, could not answer his question, because I was too stunned, too overwhelmed by everything that has happened since the marriage.

Yes. I will talk with him. Explain my reasons. He might understand me then.

The minutes drag on, each one feeling like an eternity.

Unable to sit any longer with the restlessness weighing heavily within me, I climb down from the bed and head to the window.

Staring out into the dark night, I wonder when Prathamji will return.

His biting words replay in my mind, each one feeling like a dagger to my heart.

He had spoken to me with such contempt, as if I and our marriage were the source of all his troubles.

The pain of his rejection, of this marriage being forced on him, is a constant ache. A reminder that I am unwanted by him.

I cannot help but think of the life I had imagined for myself. A life filled with love and companionship. Instead, I am trapped in a marriage where my husband does not even want to acknowledge me as his wife, let alone love me or provide companionship to me.

I feel a pang of sorrow for the dreams I lost, for the girl I had been before my life was thrust into this harsh reality.

As I wait, I feel myself questioning everything.

Will he never accept me as his wife? Will I always have to remain in this fear of what he might do with me in his anger?

I wrap my arms around myself, trying to ward off the chill. My mind races with possibilities, each one more daunting than the last.