Chapter 14

Nitya

After everyone is done having their dinner, I clear and clean the table and take the dishes to the kitchen's sink to wash them.

"I will help you, Bhabhi," Dhritiji says, entering the kitchen.

Before I can tell her anything, Maaji also enters the kitchen and speaks to Dhritiji. "Yeh waise bhi kaamchori karti rehti hai. Thoda kaam jo kar rahi hai, usme bhi iski madat karke isse aur aalsi mat bana."

("She already avoids doing chores in the house. Don't make her lazier by helping her in a bit of work that she sometimes does.")

I lower my head, turn to the sink, and start scrubbing the dishes.

Tears gather in my eyes, but I blink them away, knowing I will again get shouted at if Maaji saw my tears.

I know what she will say.

"Why are you crying? Is it because you do not want to wash the dishes? Wash the dishes properly and clean the kitchen too. You will get to eat only after that," she had said this to me after seeing me cry while washing the dishes a few days back.

That day, I was not crying because I did not want to wash the dishes. In fact, I have never not wanted to do the house chores. I used to do in my parents' house too and I do it here too, although, the works I do here are ten times more than what I used to do in my parents' house.

Also, Maa was there. Always caring, making sure I do not overexert myself.

Then, at the end of the day, she would lovingly feed me dinner. And at night, I would put my head on her lap and she would lovingly stroke it until I slept.

But here, after working endlessly for the whole day, I scrape the leftovers and eat it. Sometimes, it is hardly enough to satisfy my hunger. Then at night, I go to the room anxiously, dreading the intimacy that might husband might demand from me. I relax a bit when he does not, but the chill never leaves me. It envelopes me each second of every day and night because there is no warmth of love, support, and acceptance for me here.

That is why I was silently crying while washing the dishes that day. But Maaji saw it as the opportunity for taunting me.

So, now, I do my best not to show my tears to anyone. I have realized that, the more I cry, the more they will make me cry. So, if I stop being vulnerable in front of them, stop crying in front of them, perhaps they will stop taunting me about it.

"Why are you saying this, Taiji?" Dhritiji's voice snaps me out of my reverie. "Since morning, I have only seen Bhabhi doing all the works. You and Maa just sat in the aangan and gossiped about our neighbors and relatives. So, that means, it is you and Maa who avoid doing the house chores, not Bhabhi."

There is a stunned silence in the kitchen for a few seconds before Maaji bellows.

"You have started running your mouth too much," she says to Dhritiji. "Surekha was right. It is time to get you married. Perhaps then, you will learn how to behave with—and respect—your elders."

"I do not think I said anything wron—"

"Shut up," Maaji interrupts Dhritiji. "Shut your mouth and go to your room. I do not want to hear one more word from your mouth."

Maaji's voice is such that, wisely, Dhritiji does not say anything further and walks out of the kitchen.

"Wash the dishes properly and clean the kitchen. If I see you stuffing your mouth with food before you complete the chores, I won't let you eat anything tomorrow," Maaji says to me after Dhritiji leaves and storms out of the kitchen.