Chapter 37

Sensitive content ahead. Reader's discretion is advised.

*****

Pratham

I walk through the village, feeling as if the world has collapsed around me.

It's been two days. Two whole days since Nitya disappeared and I have no clue where to find her.

After her father came to our house to ask about Yash, I immediately called Naman bhaiyya in the city, asking him to contact Yash and his other friends to check if he is in the city with Nitya.

But when he called me to let me know that Yash and Nitya are not there, I realized both of them are in trouble.

It's since then that I am searching for them, yet I have no clue whatsoever about their whereabouts.

So, now, along with some of my men, I am combing through the whole village, hoping someone here saw Yash or Nitya around and can give us any idea regarding where they went.

"Pratham."

Hearing my name, I turn around and see Sudha kaki walking toward me. "I just found out about Nitya," she tells me. "She had come to me with her brother two days back. But she had told me she would be going to her parents' house. How did she go missing?"

"Did she say anything else? Anywhere else she might be going before her parents' house?" I ask her.

"No, Pratham. She said she would be going to her village first, and if her father didn't allow her in the house, she would stay in her friend's house for a few days before deciding what to do next," Kaki answers. "She was looking too morose when she came to meet me," she adds.

Hearing her, I feel a pinch in my heart.

It was because of me. Because of the harsh words I said to her.

"You being or not being here with me doesn't matter to me."

As those words replay in my mind, I feel the burn of remorse rising within me.

How could I have said that to her when I didn't mean it at all? How could I have hurt her that way?

Unbidden, her memories flood my mind—her smile, the way she used to look at me, the warmth I used to feel just due to her presence.

I was a fool to not realize my love sooner. And now, when I have realized it, she is not here with me.

A wave of panic washes through me.

Even though she is not with me, I hope she is safe and unharmed wherever she is.

"Did you hear what I said?" Sudha kaki's voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

"I'm sorry, I didn't hear. What were you saying?"

"Nitya seemed disturbed about something," she replies. "She didn't tell me anything when I asked her but she was talking with her brother about a file. She said that she left it in the cupboard in your room and forgot to give it to you. Yash then told her that he would call you later and tell you about it."

"A file?" I ponder, wondering if that can give me a clue regarding Nitya's whereabouts.

After all, it must be something important if she seemed anxious about it.

"Thank you, Kaki. I'll go home and look for that file."

She nods at me. "You do that. I'll pray for Nitya. Please let me know once you find her."

Nodding back at her, I rush to my car to get home. "I'll find you soon, Nitya. I won't let anything happen to you."

*****