Chapter 28

Nitya

Entering my room, I quietly close the door with trembling hands. My chest heaves as I try to catch my breath.

Tears gather in my eyes when I recall Udayji's sinister words and the smirk on his face.

Why is he suddenly here? Why now, when finally, things between me and Prathamji are changing for the better?

As I stand there, trying to steady my breathing, I notice Prathamji standing in front of the cupboard. His back is to me and he has not turned yet.

I rush to him and hug him from behind, clutching him tightly, trying to get his warmth to get rid of the coldness that Udayji's sudden presence has brought into me.

The unexpected hug seems to catch him off guard, and for a few seconds, he does not move, although I can feel his body stiffening under my touch.

"Nitya?" He asks, his voice bewildered. "What happened?"

Saying nothing, I only cling to him. His warmth somewhat calming me, but my mind is still in turmoil.

I want to tell him everything—from marriage proposal brought by Mahaveer Kaka to the reason behind my refusal, and also what Udayji said and did in the kitchen and the living room. But the words are stuck in my throat, the doubt of Prathamji not trusting me, paralyzing me with indecision.

Gently untangling my arms from his waist, he turns around and looks at me.

"Batao mujhe, Nitya. Niche kuch huwa? Maa ne kuch kaha tumse?"

("Tell me, Nitya. Did something happen downstairs? Did Maa say anything to you?")

I look at him, at the worry for me etched on his face, and open my mouth to tell him everything. But I pause when Udayji's voice rings in my ears.

"Main iss pariwar ko aur Pratham ko barson se jaanta hoon. Mere Pitaji ke bohot ehsaan hai inn logon pe. Ab aap hi bataiyye. Iss ghar ke saare log aur Pratham aapki baat pe bharosa karenge yaa meri baat pe?"

("I have known this family and Pratham since many years. My father has done lots of favors on them. Now, you tell me. Will everyone in this house and Pratham believe you, or will they believe me?")

"I'm... tired," I say, my voice shaking with the guilt of lying to him.

Even though I want to tell him the truth, the fear of not being believed, of being abandoned and thrown out, holds me back.

Prathamji frowns at me, seeming to be unconvinced by my reply. "Is this really the only matter?"

Unable to meet his eyes, I lower my head and give him a slight nod. "It was a long journey from city to here. That's why I am tired."

He sighs, still not convinced, but thankfully, he does not press further. "Rest for some time."

He leads me to the bed, and after making me lie there, he climbs down, about to get out of the room.

"Where are you going?" I ask, sitting up on the bed.

"I am going downstairs," he replies. "I will talk with Uday for a while, then will return to the room."

"No. Don't go."

"Why?"

I open my mouth, but no reply comes out. After all, what can I tell him? That I am scared Udayji will lie to him about me being characterless?

Although he had told me he won't say anything to anyone yet, but I don't trust him.

"Nitya? Answer me," Prathamji says, still standing at the door.