52. Reputation

Simone dropped the phone on the ground. He opened his mouth, gasping for air. "No. No way. No way!" He looked more scared than happy.

Tiziano let out a groan, he noticed the confused looks of his teammates heading to breakfast. His heart was filled with joy. "You still..." Tiziano realized he was speaking too loudly and lowered his voice to a near whisper. "You still have a wish left!"

Suddenly, joy turned into fear. Dread. Dread that Simone wouldn't do the right thing, or that he'd make a mistake with his wish, making the situation even worse.

And then, again, unexpectedly, guilt.

If he wants to use his wish to be straight again, why should I stop him?

Isn't it selfish to expect him to use his wish for me?

Tiziano shook his head, annoyed at his own excessive kindness.

His wrong is much worse than mine. He should make it right.

But who could decide that? Who could be the judge balancing the gravity of their wrongs? Tiziano felt he couldn't be. He was too involved to examine the situation with a grain of salt.

Simone picked up the phone. Then he looked at Tiziano with teary eyes. "Oh, Tiziano..." was all he said.

Tiziano's heart stumbled. He didn't know what to say. He didn't know what else to add. He didn't even know what to think.

"Can I... can I keep it? Wait... I mean... I'll give it back to you later, the phone. As soon as I..." He swallowed.

Tiziano nodded. "Yeah, sure. Keep it as long as you want. You can even take it home, if you want to. What do I need it for?" He shrugged. "Please, just one thing: think it through, use the right words. Don't be hasty."

Simone nodded without saying anything.

Tiziano understood he needed to leave him alone. He said goodbye. Simone didn't respond. He was staring into the distance, looking completely lost.

Tiziano felt, on the contrary, strangely clear-headed. Because he had just remembered there was something important to do before the wish. Before allowing himself to dream again. There was a small, unpleasant, pressing problem. A problem that could be devastating for Tiziano's life: Stefano's video.

"Simone, listen to me for a second. I know you're probably struggling to think straight... but listen: before doing anything, do you remember what I asked you a little while ago?"

Simone looked at him dazed, as if he had forgotten everything.

"The video. The video on Stefano's phone. You need to delete it."

Simone seemed suddenly present again. He straightened his back and lifted his head. "Yes. I'll go right away. It'll be the first thing I do. I'll make him delete it. Even if I have to break his phone."

"Thanks," Tiziano said without much conviction. If he still had a working phone, he would have messaged Claudio. But he didn't, and couldn't communicate with him any other way, so he had to trust Simone.

He was leaving in Simone's hands two matters of vital importance for himself. In the hands of the person he trusted the least in the world.

But he had no other choice.

Simone nodded. He seemed convinced. Determined.

And now I have one last thing to sort out.

Tiziano hurriedly left Simone and sprinted towards the girls' huts. They were starting, like the boys, to come out of their rooms for breakfast.