24 - life could not have been sweeter

Watch the storyline "Cover Up".

We quickly ordered our coffee and treats, latte macchiato extra shot for me, caramel latte for her. I also treated us to pain au chocolates since we didn't have the luxury of sharing pancakes with the girls earlier.

"Thanks Mia, this is a nice break." Charlotte said, "but I can't believe you're disappearing on me again."

"I'll be back before you know it, baby. Besides, you've got the girls the whole week and weekend, haven't you?" I asked.

"Well, yes, Ben is supposed to have them on Thursday night, but we'll see."

"I'm sure we can FaceTime during the week anyway," I winked at her. Charlotte blushed.

"So, ahem," Charlotte started, "what did you say to upset Alexandria's mum?" She gave me a disproving look.

I rolled my eyes. "The ignorance. I honestly don't know what her problem is, but I told her that I was successful in life because of my nice car and having shares in a successful company - the nurseries - without the help of a man. She obviously felt threatened by me in some shape or form. I don't have time for that. Did she think I was stood around kerb crawling or something?" Charlotte burst out laughing. "Well?"

"To maybe pick up some hot dads in the nursery car park?"

"Oh Charlotte, you know it's ridiculous. I'm sure I put her in her place anyway." I shook my head. "Anyway, enough about her. Was Marjorie okay this morning?"

Charlotte smiled, "Yeah, she was fine. Still cooing over the weekend, she had a great time and is very thankful to you."

"Good, I'm glad."

"Really, Mia?"

"Yes!" I scoffed, "you wanted me to be nice..."

"Thank you," she said, reaching for my hands across the table.

"I can be nice but I don't want everyone thinking I'm nice, only to you."

Charlotte laughed, "but why? You and Reece were getting along great and you looked so happy."

"I know, that's how things used to be. I miss it but the anger I feel when I'm reminded of what Roger did to me. To us all." I mused, not really wanting to get into it.

"Mia, it's okay, he can't touch you now. You're safe." She smiled, not really knowing what to say. She didn't know the full extent of the damage he did and bless her, her mind was often so pure I didn't want to taint it with my dark past. I was healing now, I was getting better. The occasional nightmare and flashback but I could mostly keep it under control.

"Sweetheart, we should head back now... time is ticking."

"You're right," we stood to leave, "can I just grab a cookie for Carly?"

Charlotte went back up to the counter and purchased some cookies for Carly and we headed out for the short drive back over to the nursery.

"Thank you for dropping me back to work," Charlotte grinned, so angelic.

I smiled, "it's no problem, I'm happy to do it."

"When do you think you'll be back again?" She asked, poor Charlotte. I hated being away but I had so much business in other areas.

"I don't know, but as soon as I do I'll let you know," I reached for her hand and gave it a squeeze.

"Oh, there's actually something I wanna give you. It's upstairs in my locker though so are you okay to just wait here whilst I run and grab it?"