Chapter six

Asher was struck, he has met a lot of human women in his life and have even allowed himself to bed a few during the times Anita dragged him to their realm but never, absolutely never have he felt a form of connection with any of them. And now staring at that dancing but not dancing teenager, he couldn’t help but want to know her. He could feel it deep inside him that she was hiding something, something big and maybe sad. He stood watching them dance, the boy with her was cute, good looking even with his messy blonde hair and he kept running his hand all over her. He didn’t need to be told for he can see that the boy really wants to do more than dance with her, it was very clear in his green eyes.
He watched as the boy spun her around once more but he shocked him this time by leaning over and kissing her lips. Immediately, Asher had a growl and turned around to know who had followed him but there was no one and it was then that he realized that the growling had come from him? He was shocked and his gaze went back to the kissing teenagers. The girl had her arms wrapped around the boy’s neck as she tried to match his lips naïvely. It was obvious it was her first time and it means she was really inexperienced.
Naomi couldn’t believe that she was kissing Justin, that she had given her first kiss to him. He kissed her so professionally as his hands felt her body, arousing goosebumps all over her skin. She was lost in the kiss and the feeling he brought her when she sensed it, someone watching her. She slowly placed her hands on his chest and pushed him away softly. When he let go of her lips, she could feel his eyes scanning her face but she had her eyes closed, she could imagine how everyone would be staring at them now and obviously the problem it would bring her in school tomorrow. Slowly opening her eyes, she met his green ones and she could clearly see the desire in them. Justin desires me?
“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that,” she whispered, not sure if he even heard her with the music but as she glanced behind him, she could see the stares of everyone, and the females were glaring at her. She took a step back and gulped, wishing she would become invisible. She hates being the center of attention and right at this moment, she wasn’t sure she could handle it and so she did the first thing that came to her mind, she turned and ran.
“Naomi, wait,” Justin called and followed her. “Naomi,” he screamed, running after her but she was pretty fast on her two legs for her petite stature that he ended up lagging behind.
Asher had witnessed the whole thing and although he couldn’t explain why she would run since it was obvious that she enjoyed the kiss but he still followed her. The woods can be dangerous at this time, especially for her kinds running from his. It wasn’t hard sniffing her out and he was running after her, but bearing in mind to keep his distance from her. He soon saw her running into a meadow, by now, she was already far from the partying students and far from the human woods which means she was exposed to danger, a terrifying danger.
She finally stopped running and crouched down, her hands on her knees as she panted, trying to catch her breath. He watched her from afar, trying to figure her out and also why he seemed to be pretty invested in her. Like she lacked in every aspect for a woman to pick his interest but she seemed to have even without trying. He heard a soft whispering and enhanced his hearing to understand that she was counting from twenty downwards. He tilted his head, why was she counting? There were so many things he can’t understand about her but yet he was there, watching her and using his terrifying aura to chase away any potential danger. Why is he protecting her and why on earth does he want her to be safe?
Few minutes of meeting her and he was already protecting her?
Eventually, she stood up straight and glanced around, her face white with the moonlight. He was able to see her again, this time with the moonlight and not the bonfire. Her face was oval and she had a really straight nose, which he must admit was beautiful but her face in general wasn’t. He is a lover of beauty, the more beautiful a woman is, the more she is likely to attract his interest but for her, compared to other women he had had, she was plain, like literally plain. And to top it up, she was skinny, too skinny. Does she even eat? Where are the rest of the meat on her body?
He sensed a nightwalker approaching the meadow, obviously drawn by her scent and there it was again, that low growl and before he knew it, he was dashing towards the way he was coming. He leapt and landed right in front of him, causing the poor man to screech to a stop. His red eyes glowed and his furs stood on end.
The man stared at him and after calming his racing heart, he said, “Prince Asher, I did not expect to meet you here,” he smiled. Everyone knows the wolf of the demon prince, it was silver white and he was as big as a man standing, making him able to look you right in the eyes in his wolf form. The biggest wolf ever.
Asher growled, his red eyes shifting away from him, silently telling him to retreat and of course the man caught on immediately. He smiled and did a bow, “I’m sorry, I didn’t know the prince already has his eyes on her,” and with that, he turned and ran off.
Asher sighed and went back to staring at the girl, she was sitting down now, her face looking at the moon. Right at that moment, she looked so serene and Asher found himself jealous. The look on her face was obviously that of peace and he found himself wondering when he would ever feel that again. From his five years old till now, he has never known peace and sometimes he wonders what it feels like.
Closing his eyes, he tapped into his demon’s power to hide himself but he knew it won’t last for long, it was always hard to use any of his other powers while donning on another form from that power. Feeling the effect working, he walked into the meadow. He hasn’t perfected the skill like his father but compared to a human, he could easily execute it effortlessly. He didn’t even know why he wanted to go close to her but he knew that he wants to, he wants to perceive that smell of hers on a closer range and so he approached, one paw-step at a time.
Naomi was enjoying the peace and quiet the woods brought, it’s not her first time being in it but it was her first time being so deep in it. Sometimes, after receiving her father’s blows, she would jump out of the window and go into the woods to rest, she doesn’t know why but it always calms her down. No matter how aggrieved she was, being in the woods always calm her down and she guess that was why she even attended the party the second Justin invited her. She was still relishing on the beauty of the moon when she sensed it, that very feeling of someone watching her like she had done when Justin was kissing her.
She glanced around, there was no one there and the trees were dancing softly to the gentle breeze. However, she couldn’t get over the feeling. She stood up, glanced around her and stilled. As if on cue, the trees became still as well. Her heart was beating loud in her chest, goosebumps rose on her skin like there was something there with her, or someone but no matter how hard she looked, she couldn’t find anyone or anything.
She could feel the fear of strange feeling but internally, she wasn’t afraid, like that whatever it was wouldn’t hurt her. However, when she couldn’t take it again, she began walking back the way she came. The walk was long and silent and to top it up, she could still feel that presence following her ever so slowly. The fear in her heart was rising but she forced herself to maintain her composure. However, along the line, she couldn’t help it and turned. “I know you are there,” she said, her heart beating loud in her chest as her eyes searched frantically around. “I can…sense you.” She added, hoping that might just scare whoever or whatever that was following her.
She sighed, waiting for an answer or a noise, or anything that would just alert her of the ubiquitous presence with her. However, when a long time passed and nothing happened —the trees were still as still as they were and the moon shone as brightly— she counted from one to ten and turned to continue on her walk but she stopped frozen when she came face to face with the biggest wolf she had ever seen. Her heart jumped out of her chest when her eyes locked with its red ones.