Chapter 1: Un-mutual Feelings

Chapter 1

Nick’s POV

            “Man, I just don’t know what to do about Emma. She’s hot, smart, funny-- she’s perfect,” my main man since the fourth grade said in frustration.

            “So what’s the problem?” I asked bored out of my mind. I sometimes wish I could have a mute button every time he starts talking about Emma.

            “She’s just so busy all the time, like I’m last priority of all the things in her life,”

            Derek and Emma have been having an on and off relationship for all of junior year. Now that we’re seniors and it’s still the same old stupid fights. Derek complains that Emma doesn’t spend enough time with him (which she doesn’t), and Emma gets mad when Derek is clingy (which he is). Their relationship status on Facebook changes from “in a relationship” to “it’s complicated” every month.

Brotip #359 – if your relationship status says “it’s complicated”, you aren’t fooling anyone. Change it to “single”.

            “Derek, just break up with her,” I suggested, “for good.”

            He looked at me as if I was crazy, “but I love her.”

            I rolled my eyes, “well if you love her then we all know what you’re going to do.”

            Derek’s face changed completely, “you’re right! Thanks bro. I got to go find Emma” He said giving me a fist bump.

            Unbelievable; it’s like Derek can’t learn a lesson. They’re just not the right couple.

            “Nick, wait up!” I turned to see Emma. To say the least, she was hot. Like I’d hit that in a second if Derek wasn’t “in love with her”.

            “You just missed him. Derek went to go find you,”

            She looked at me and grinned, “I actually want to ask you a favour.”

            “Isn’t that the boyfriend’s job?” I joked. She, being native Emma, didn’t get it. 

            “You don’t even know what I’m about to ask you!”

            “What do you want Emma?”

            She stopped me and looked down, “how do I break up with Derek...for good.” Her face was in complete seriousness.

            “You’re kidding right?” I don’t deal with relationship problems. And I sure as hell don’t want to be dragged into Derek & Emma drama. I much rather spend my time hooking up.

            “No, not really,” she responded, “and you’re his best friend.”

            “Are you asking me to break with Derek for you?”

            “No, just how I should break up with Derek,”

            Is this chick being serious right now? “Emma, I’m not getting involved.” I said clearly before walking away.

Emma’s POV

            I bit my lip as I watched Nick walk away.

            “Keep dreaming Emma,” my best friend Terra laughed.

            “Is it wrong that I find my boyfriend’s best friend so much attractive?” I asked in all desperateness. The fact that I’m even having the slightest feelings for Nick makes me question my intelligence. To say the least, Nick doesn’t go for the girls with much going on up there. They’re all really pretty, but not smart enough to tell you what the Pythagorean Theorem is.

            “Emma, everyone finds Nick Hanson attractive. Just look at him, hot body, hot face, hot... name,” Terra stated then giggling like the rest of North Shore High when they start talking about Nick.

            “Definitely hot body,” I responded with a wink.

            Terra laughed, “Wow, good job for being the worst girlfriend ever!”

            “Hey, I’m still a teenager. Just because I have a boy friend, doesn’t mean I can’t find other guys hot,”

            “Yeah but this is Nick Hanson, Derek’s best friend. At least break up with Derek before you start hitting on Nick,”

            I signed, “it’s pretty much a given that Nick wouldn’t screw his best friend over by screwing his girlfriend.”

            “It’s funny how you sound disappointed right now, slut” Terra said jokingly walking into grade 12 university biology, which we both have first period.

            “Hey, it’s not like I’ve done anything yet,”

            We both sat down and she put a hand on my shoulder, “first step is admitting the truth.” Terra laughed.

            “Emma!” I looked over at the door, where Derek stood signalling me over.

            “Speak of the boyfriend,” Terra said just loud enough for me to hear.

            “Be right back,” I said while getting out of my seat towards Derek.

            He was indeed very good looking. Dark hair, deep brown eyes and his toned athletic body makes him a very in demand guy. But the fact that he keeps coming back to me makes me feel pretty special. When we’re not fighting, he literally makes me feel like a princess.

            “Derek --” I was cut off by his lips. His hands hooked on to the loops of my jean shorts.

            “YES D!”

            “YEAH BUDDY!”

            And numerous other guys cheered Derek on as my lips moved with his.

            “Ahem!” Derek and I quickly broke apart. When I say that my school has the hottest science department, I mean it. My biology teacher, Mr. Marks, could pass as a part time model for Abercrombie & Fitch. But clearly he doesn’t stand for PDA.

            “Thank you,” he said then walking into the classroom without another word.

            I laughed as Derek brushed a strand of hair and tucked it behind my ear.

            “Emma, I love you. Can you please forgive me?”

            “You love me?” I asked shocked.

            “Yeah...”

            Speechless; that’s the word to describe my feeling at the moment. If I told him the truth, that would make me the biggest bitch in the world. But if I lie, well I’m not any better. I think this is where the expression “stuck between a rock and a hard place” comes into play.

            “I love you too,”