Chapter 2: Play the Field

Chapter 2

Nick’s POV   

            “Nick, are you going to the game tonight?” Anna or Annie asked with a flirty face. She was easy, I could tell.

            “Yes Annie, I’m starting quarterback. I’ll be playing in the game,” Idiot.

            “Oh my gosh! Well I’m going too, and maybe we could hang out at Zach’s party after?” she asked looking hopeful.

            I smirked; I guess I could have some fun after we win our first game of the season, “sure.”

            “See you tonight,” she said giving me a wink.

            “Yeah, see you tonight,” I said over my shoulder.

            Man, girls these days. It’s like you give them one smile and they’re happy to open their legs to you. And the morning after? That’s just unnecessary. Just say thank you and leave.

Brotip #741- not even your college fund can buy you class

            “D!” Derek turned around giving me a fist bump, “Sorry about you and Emma dude, but now that you’re a free man, it’s time to get wasted and get laid.”

            He looked at me confused, “What are you talking about? Emma and I got back together!” He smiled putting his football jersey on.

            Now I’m confused, I was sure that Emma asked me how to break up with Derek, “are you sure?” I asked.

            “Yeah, and she told me she loved me!”  

            “You’re kidding,” is Emma really leading Derek on? Now I knew she was hot, but a bitch too?

            “No, I think she’s the one dude,” he said.

            I rolled by eyes, “now that’s crazy talk! Don’t judge a person until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”

            “What the hell are you talking about?”

            “Alright, think of it like this. I play the field. You know, test everything out. Get tackled, but still scoring touch downs. While you have been playing the first down, for the past year; I say play the field Derek. Stop being stuck with the same old,”

            Derek laughed, “Thanks for the tips bro, but I’ll have to pass on that offer. I think I’ve hit the jackpot.” He said and then giving Emma a kiss as we got to the cafeteria.

            I slid in next to Derek at our table.

            This chick’s is going to get it.

Emma’s POV

            “Hey babe,” Derek smirked and then giving me a wink.

            “Hey,” I smiled. It feels wrong.

            “You know what’s worse than cheaters?” Nick announced to the table. Of course everybody listens because, my god, Nick Hanson is speaking.

            “STDs?” Zach, another friend of Derek’s, said being the smart ass he is.

            Nick shook his head and looked at me with those blue eyes, “Leading someone on.”

            “Man, I know what you mean. Like that girl, Rebecca, she is a tease,” Zach responded.

            “Yeah, I hate liars. Just be straight up with me,” Nick smirked looking at me.

            Derek cut in, “I’m just glad I have a girlfriend like you then,” he smiled giving me a peck on the lips as I hear a snort coming from Nick.

            Honestly, I’ve never felt so much guilt. And Nick is making me feel guiltier, of course, with his cocky smirk.

            Terra gave me a reassuring look.

            “Yo Zach, what time does the party start?” Derek asked changing the subject.

            “9 o’clock, after we crush those Highlanders. Seriously, how easy can this get?”

            “I know man, A Pool? They suck!” Zach nodded in agreement.

            “Babe, I’ll see you in English okay? Terra and I have to practice for half time tonight,” I cut in.

            “Yeah, got to get that routine down solid,” Terra added covering my butt.

            Derek nodded, “Sure, and here.” He handed me his away game football jersey.

            “Thanks,”

            He gave me a hug and said, “Kill it tonight. I’ll be watching that cute little ass of yours from the sidelines.” He pulled away giving me a wink.

            “Good luck, I know you’ll do awesome,” I said before Terra and I walked out of the caf.

            “He’s so sweet and I’m just a bitch,” I said looking at Derek’s jersey.

            “It’s not your fault that there’s no spark,” Terra said.

            “Emma!” I turned around to Nick, his face looking pissed off.

            “Yeah?”

            “I’d like to talk to you, along, please?” His eyes landed on Terra.

            “Alright, I got the hint bud!” she said sarcastically while walking towards the rest of the dance team.

            He looked at me shaking his head with a smirk on his face, like he figured out something big.

            “What Nick,”

            He smirked, “Don’t act all innocent Emma; I know you don’t actually ‘love’ Derek.”

            “Derek told you?”

            He nodded, “He also told me that you were the one.”

            “Are you serious?” I asked in shock.

            “Yeah, now I didn’t want to get involved, but when you mess with Derek, you’re messing with me. And you don’t want to mess with me,”

            I rolled my eyes, “Look, I don’t want to hurt Derek. He’s an amazing and so sweet,” Nick eyed the football jersey in my hand, “I don’t want to hurt him.”

            “And you think by lying to him is better?”

            “I’m not completely lying. I do like him, but not as much as he likes me,”

            “So you’re not going to tell him?” Nick questioned.

            “No,”

            “Huh,” he nodded walking away.

            “Wait,” he turned around, “you’re not going to tell him are you?” I asked looking hopeful.

            He smirked, “If you’re not breaking up with him, I’m going to make sure that he breaks up with you.” And like that he walked away.

            ******

VOTE if you're cheering Vancouver CANUCKS <3

Game 7 baby!