Chapter 10: According to Plan

Chapter 10

Emma’s POV

            I drove into the student parking lot nauseated. There is no possible way for me to actually face Derek and have a conversation with him that doesn’t end up with me feeling depressed. But I guess there’s one good thing that came out of this, whatever deal Matt was looking for was definitely out of the picture.

            Finally deciding to have the guts step out of the car, I instantly locked eyes with Derek. He didn’t look like the normal Derek. It looked like he hasn’t slept, but what really got me was who he was standing next to: Carly Simpson and her gang of STD infected sluts. This makes me want to puke.

            I start walking towards the school and unfortunately towards Derek and the blonds. He looked at me straight in the eyes and put his arm around Carly.

            I rolled my eyes and avoided their stares.

            “Hey Emma!” Carly said with her annoying voice.

            I stopped and turned to look at her smug face, “Carly.” She’s just trying to rub it in that the Derek Kessler actually paid attention to her for once in her life. Well that’s what I’m trying to convince myself at least.

            “How are you hon?” She asked.

            “Oh, awesome,” I replied wanting this conversation to be over.

            “Had a good weekend with Nick?” Derek asked with look you could kill.

            “I didn’t spend the weekend with Nick,”

            He nodded, “so it was more like a quicky then huh?”

            All the girls laughed.

            “Because I’m totally just that kind of girl,” I said sarcastically and walked away. It’s 8 am and if Derek thinks that I want to deal with him PMSing, he is clearly mistaken.

            I came to first period early. Not because I was eager to go to class, but I was more eager to talk to Melissa. The girl may be the gossip queen, but I love her nonetheless.

            “So is it true? You and Derek are over?” Melissa, a girl that sits next to me in my psychology class, asked.

            I thought back to the way Derek had his arm around Carly and how in his stupid mind that he was convinced that Nick and I had sex. Sure, we made out when we were drunk, but I can guarantee that was nowhere near what Derek thought had happened.

            “Considering how Derek is hanging over Carly, it’s pretty clear,”

            “Okay, nothing good comes from that slut.”

            I laughed, “you’re telling me.”

            Melissa paused trying to find the rights words, “Well you’re my friend so I wanted to tell you this. Everyone’s talking about how you slept with Nick and that’s  why Derek broke up with you.”

            “I’m not even surprised,”

            “Did you?”

            “No Melissa! It’s complicated okay?” I said frustrated.

            At that moment Derek walked into the class room. This was the only class we had together. So, obviously, he sat right beside me. On a usual day, Derek would try to get close to me. Especially when the teacher isn’t looking. But he took one look at me and took a seat at the front of the class.