seven

I was certainly horrified and scared when Linden Blisser kissed me. I mean, fuck, it was something I'd never anticipated he'd do. And for the record, I was totally caught off guard. And don't forget I was surprised. But I think they were the same thing. So yeah, I know I'm not making any sense.

        I was dripping wet by the time I opened the front door of the house. I kept shivering, and hugging myself didn't work against the cold. I leaned myself on the wall as I stumbled into the kitchen. Annie wasn't there. I called her. I was shouting but everything sounded so distant. I felt light-headed and every part of me ached whenever I sneezed and shivered.

        I found myself in the laundry room. There were baskets of clothes on the washing machine and on the floor beside it. Clothes! Thank God! I scattered the contents of the baskets across the floor. I sat in one corner and covered myself with the pile clothes I didn't even know if were dirty or clean. All I knew was that I needed heat.

        I realized we had a fireplace in the living room. I should've went there and lighted fire. But I realized staying just in front of it wouldn't give me the heat I needed and staying inside the fireplace would roast me to death. I didn't want my family to feast on me. Flavored or unflavored. Not like they'd eat me if that happens.

        I heard Annie's voice. She was calling my name and was saying something about leaving the front door open. I wanted to call her, too. But my eyes drooped close and darkness consumed me.

        When I woke up, I was still feeling cold despite the thick layer of sheets that covered my whole body. I was in my room. A soft music was playing from the stereo by the study table. Something was plastered on my forehead. It felt sticky and weirdly cold. I sat up.

        Tom was sitting in the chair of the study table. He had his head over his folded arms on the same table. He was asleep.

        My head throbbed. How'd I get in my room anyway? I wanted to laugh at myself. What kind of question was that? Ofcourse, dad and Tom carried me. It's not like Annie can lift me up. Not even my legs.

        I imagined how they removed all the clothes that I used to cover myself. Annie was panicking, obviously worried. Mom put a hand on my forehead, and then the neck, checking if I had a fever. Tom and Dad lifting me by the shoulders and dragging me up to the attic. They actually can't carry me considering my size. So I figured they grunted and was exhausted after hauling me onto the bed. I was a varsity player. Go figure. And just to clear things up, I have no fats. Not a single nanogram.

        So, yeah. That was how I imagined what happened last night.

        I stared at the one and only window in my room. It was round and clear. Beyond it, I could see the rain pouring, white. I almost thought it was snowing. But my window was frost-free. The rain was beautiful and peaceful. It seemed to be painting my window with water.

        "How are you feeling?"

        "Why are you home?" I asked Tom back.

        "Someone needs to take care of my little brother," he said, rubbing his eyes with the soles of his hands.

        "I'm not little, Tom."

        "I know. I thought we weren't gonna be able to carry you up here. Mom almost suggested we switch rooms."

        "No way."

        "I would have said the same thing. But Mom didn't ask." He was laughing to himself.

        "Don't you have work?" I asked.

        "I had to take the day off considering all the things that can possibly occur during this storm," he gestured to the round window.

        "Doesn't look like a storm to me." I wasn't sure I was paying attention to what Tom said. My eyes were glued to the boy who was walking across the street towards our house.

        The doorbell rang after a little moment.

        "Expecting anyone?" Tom asked.

        I shook my head. So he said, "I better get that."

        "Sure. Is Annie here?"

        "At her Dad's." He slid out the door.

        I imagined Tom walking down the stairs to the front door. I know, I'm full of imagination when I'm sick. So yeah. He opened the door and saw a blond boy with a humble smile in his face.

        "Good morning," Tom asked.

        "Uh, hi. Is Theo around?" the boy asked.

        "May I know who you are?" Tom asked.

        "Linden Blisser."

        "Oh. The music project partner." Tom thought for a moment. "Sorry, but he's sick. He can't work today."

        "No worries, uh, attorney. I'm not here for the project. Is he okay?"

        Tom laughed. "It's cold out here. Mind coming in?"

        "I don't mind, sir."

        "You can call me Tom."

        They went into the house. Tom told him to go up the stairs and straight into the attic. He said his thanks and went upstairs.

        "You lost or something?" I asked when he opened the door.

        Linden Blisser looked hesitant. "No. I, uh, came to see if you were okay. You didn't return any of my calls and texts."

        I reached for the phone on the headrest. He had 10 missed calls and 25 texts. "Oh. I was asleep the whole time. I just woke up. Bad fever. Need anything?"

        "May I take a seat?"

        "Fuck, no," I snapped. "What are doing here anyway? After the stunt you pulled yesterday, you have guts showing your face here. In my room. In my house."

        He looked pained and sad. I felt horrible. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't know you weren't what I thought you were."

        "Close the door." He did. "You thought I was gay. Well, you're wrong." He was about to say something but I spoke before he could."Just leave," I said.

        "But-"

        "I said leave. I don't want you near me. And never, ever, talk to me again."

        He turned around and opened the door but didn't walk out. "Just so you know, I care about you." He went out.

        I heard Tom's voice from the hallway down the second floor. "Leaving already?"

        "I forgot I had things to do."

        "But you haven't even had a cup of coffee." I could tell he was carrying a tray of three cups.

        "Sorry, sir. But I really have to go."

        "Okay. You take care, Linden."

        I never called him by his first name.

        Later on that day, I knew that classes for today was suspended so Linden Blisser was able to stop by.

        Keeping myself away from every guy in school was hard. But keeping myself away from Linden Blisser was harder. Every time I look at those emerald eyes, I see them twinkling. And I can see a lot of words in them. He wanted to say a lot of things. But I didn't want to hear any of it.

        It will be better if we never talk to each other again.