eight

I was good to go to school the next morning. It was tuesday. It was still raining. The news said the weather won't be better within another week so I guessed it would be colder out. I added another layer of clothing before I headed outside.

I turned the heater on inside my truck and stayed there for a moment before heading to school. Once I arrived, I kept my senses sharp in case I run into Linden Blisser. He would be the last person I wanted to see. I guess he figured that out because he didn't come into music class. That made me think through the things I said. I never intended to separate him from high school education. Fuck. Is he mental?

In the end, I regretted my words. I didn't expect my words to affect him so much. This much. I mean, he can still go to class, just not sit beside me. So, yeah. Maybe I should talk to him.

Or not. I'm still... I don't know... mad or something.

The rest of the day went by in a blur. It seemed so lifeless without the presence of the guy. I was so used to seeing him in the hallways of the school that I kept expecting he'd be there smiling at me. Whenever a class ended and students started filling the hallways, I'd stand by the lockers where last names starting with B were, hoping to see him. Yeah, the lockers in our school are arranged alphabetically.

I had no luck. Maybe he didn't go to school. So I went home after volleyball practice.

I found Tom at home. He was early today so I asked him why after I put my bag in my room.

"I had to be home early. Anniversary."

My mouth formed an 'O' upon the realization. "Sorry. I forgot." Today is the day when they started dating five years ago. My family kind of celebrates that kind of thing. Every single date. I don't think its special but that doesn't mean I'm against it. "So what are you prepping?"

"Nothing special. Just a few dishes I learned over the years." He was chopping some carrots and tossed them to a bowl. There were lots of bowl filled with different vegetables and chicken meat on the counter. I'm guessing Tom was making salad. But, who knows? Tom brings out a ton of surprises during celebrations like this and claims it to be "Nothing special". He said "a few dishes" after all.

"Need any help?" I offered.

"Yes, sure. A dozen minced garlic will do." He smiled. He handed me a clean chopping board and knife. "Just pick the big ones." He gestured to the nearly empty paper bags by the sink.

"So... I was wondering..." I began after a couple of garlic bulbs. Tom's brows shot up but his eyes were focused on the celery. "How would you react if someone kissed you? On the lips?"

I expected him to laugh for asking a stupid question but he didn't. Sometimes it sucked that he had to act like an older-older-brother. I mean, he has a son and we can't even have conversations like we were kids anymore. Just like tonight. "Well, considering I'm married, I'd probably avoid the person for eternity."

"What if you're not married?" I asked.

"I'd probably be going out every night. To a date."

I curved my lips.

"Someone kissed you?" He asked when I didn't say a word.

I nodded. "I hated it. But not entirely. But I said some horrible things, I think." I knew Tom wouldn't understand unless I tell him it was Linden Blisser who fucking kissed me. But I'm not going to tell him. The Graces are Christian. Go figure.

"There are two things why a guy will hate a kiss from a girl," thank God he assumed it was a girl. Of course he would. He chopped the celery with precision. "It is either you don't like her or she tasted terrible. Was it a surprise kiss? Are you gonna tell your old brother how it happened? Or not? So which one is it?"

"Do you I have to answer all your questions?" I asked. It was just my seventh garlic and now my fingers ached. It felt like they were burning. It hurt everytime I touched the cracked bulbs.

"You don't answer a question with another question," Tom pointed out as he rummaged through the paper bags in the sink. He brought out the bacon and liquid seasoning. He was going to start cooking.

"Fine. None of the above for the first question. Yes to the second and no to the third. Glad?" I dropped the knife on the chopping board beside the half finished seventh garlic. "My fingers are burning." I turned around the counter to the sink and washed my hand with water. They still burned.

"I told you, you shouldn't press the garlic too much."

"But it slides off." I rolled my eyes.

"No, it doesn't. Watch me." He chopped the half finished garlic within seconds. He could do things in the kitchen twice as fast as I could. Show off.

"So what do you suggest I do? With the kissing thing I mean." I dried my hands with a cloth. They still hurt. The running water didn't do a thing.

"Apologize. And say that you liked it. Then the rest is up to you." He wiggled his eyebrows.

"But-"

"You asked for my opinion. Go do it."

"Why?"

"I'm older. I know what's right."

Turned out, Tom cooked several (contradicting what he said was 'a few') dishes. There was an Italian pasta, vegetable salad with Japanese dressing, and teriyaki-flavored bacon. There was also my favorite, the sweet and sour chicken fillet with freshly cut green and red bell peppers. Oh, God. Tonight's meal is going to be heavenly.

Annie was sitting beside Tom. She was flustered and smiling like a cute puppy. They were both happy. They said their prayers and we ate as they talked about the romantic story of Thomas and Annie Grace. I didn't get to talk much because it wasn't my love story.

So I listened. Like I always did.

After dinner and helping mom and dad fix the dishes as Tom and Annie continued reminiscing their story in their room, I lied in my bed and stared at the blankness of the ceiling. I had my phone beside my head displaying a text message I was deciding to send Linden Blisser. It was nothing special. It just said,

Hey, can I see you tonight at the old mansion by the end of the block? I wanted to talk to you about something.

It was dark in my room and the only light came from my phone. I'm kinda feeling nyctophilic tonight. And cold. Maybe because I didn't have a shirt on and just wrapped myself with a silk blanket. I could hear the wind whistling outside. The trees were dancing as some birds sang with the wind. It was also dark outside. The only light came only from the gibbous moon and a yellow street light. The sight caused an eerie ambiance in my vision.

Despite the fact that I was sleepy and was dying to sleep, I wanted to talk to Linden Blisser more than anything.

A moment later, the light from my phone died and I fell asleep.