1.10

Avery unlocked the front door to the cafe and quietly led Luke inside. Avery's heart pounded against her chest, this was the first time she had a boy over and she had no idea what to do. She looked around the dimly lit cafe and smiled, at the situation she found herself in. Although her day was filled with twists and turns, she was happy with how her night ended up.

"Want to hang out down here before we watch a movie?" Avery asked, scared of getting caught by her dad.

"Sure that sounds cool," Luke smiled as he took a seat at one of the tables.

"This is a little awkward," Avery laughed.

"Not really," Luke smiled. "Hey, I have a question for you, this has been bugging me all day," Luke said.

"What's up?"

"When we first met today, you told me that you don't like my band. Can I ask why?" Luke asked.

"I don't know..."

"Tell me, I'm not going to be offended or anything."

"I guess I just don't feel like you guys sing about things that really matter. I think love and relationships are important, but I also think when you have such a huge platform to effect change, you have a responsibility as an artist to leave something to really speak for you. You have the power to make the world a better place. I don't think there's anything wrong with writing about what you feel, but I like music that says something about the world. I like my music to talk about a little more than just sex and hooking up. But that's just me, I know a lot of people who like your music, " Avery said cautiously.

"Well, I am a little offended. I asked for it."

"Sorry," Avery said looking down.

"Play me something," Luke nodded toward Avery's guitar that leaned on the wall.

"Oh, no. I'm not that good," Avery said putting her hair behind her ear.

"Come on Miss Music Genius," Luke smiled. "Just one song."

"Did I really offend you?" Avery frowned. "You should play something, you're the one who actually gets paid for this."

"Nah, I sing all the time. I want to hear you, you have a really pretty singing voice," Luke charmed.

"I can compromise," Avery smiled. "Why don't we sing something together? Like a duet or whatever."

"I can do that. What songs do you know?"

"I only know a few, I'm honestly not very good," Avery said as she walked over to grab her guitar. "You should just play something," Avery said handing Luke her guitar.

"I thought you didn't like people playing your guitar?" Luke questioned.

"I think I can trust you now."

Luke smiled and accepted the guitar from Avery. "How old is this guitar?" Luke asked as he strummed a few chords.

"I don't know, maybe 25 years old. It used to belong to my mom," Avery said as she took a seat next to Luke.

"It's in really good condition for being that old. It's beautiful."

"Well, only two people have ever played it. Well. Now three," Avery shrugged.

"Was your mom a singer?"

"I don't know, my dad doesn't really like to talk about her so I never really asked," Avery looked down.

"I'm sorry Avie," Luke frowned. "What kind of music do you like? Miss Music Genius," Luke said changing the subject.

"Oh wow, lot of music. That's a hard question. I really like the classics like Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie. But contemporary I'd have to go with Ed Sheeran," Avery replied confidently.