1.11

Avery and Luke quietly tiptoed up the stairs to Avery's apartment giggling the whole way. Avery's night was full of firsts, first alcoholic beverage, first date, first kiss, the night was still full of possibilities for Avery. Avery discovered things about herself she never expected, but above all, she learned to give second chances. Even when it seemed that they weren't deserved.. Avery looked up at Luke who fought hard to hide his excitement.

"Be quiet Luke," Avery whispered at Luke who wouldn't stop giggling.

"I'm trying," Luke whispered back.

"Stay here," Avery instructed Luke as she peeked inside her dad's room to make sure he was still sleeping. She looked in and saw her dad fast asleep in his bed, snoring as loud as usual. "Coast is clear," Avery told Luke and he replied in a thumbs up. Luke's heart pounded against his chest, he did not know where the night would go but he knew he was excited. Avery opened the door for Luke, and let him walk in first.

"You decorated," Luke said looking around Avery's bedroom.

"Oh, no my dad wanted to make this place festive for my birthday, he has done this since I was really young and it just became a tradition," Avery smiled at the memory.

"You and your dad are pretty close huh?"

"Yeah, he's my everything," Avery smiled.

Luke walked around Avery's colorful room, smiling at all of her small stuffed animals and knickknacks. He sat down on her bed and picked up the framed photo from Avery's nightstand "This is your mom?" Luke asked.

"Yeah," Avery quietly said. "It's crazy how much I miss her. But I haven't even met her."

"She's beautiful," Luke said. "You look just like her."

"You don't have to do that, you know," Avery sighed.

"Do what?"

"Flatter me, I already know what you think about me," Avery frowned. "You took me to a dogfight, you obviously don't think I'm beautiful."

"Well, opinions can change..."

"I don't know-"

"Avie, you are beautiful. Okay? I was a fucking idiot earlier. I care about you alright?" Luke said as he leaned toward Avery and kissed her forehead.

"Do you want to watch that movie?" Avery said pulling away from Luke. "Maybe we can watch the Fault in Our Stars or listen to music or something."

"Yeah, sure thing Avie, whatever you want," Luke smiled.

"Okay," Avery quickly said, she has never been this nervous in her life. She didn't know what to do with a boy in her bedroom. "We just have to keep it down because my dad is in the other room."

"I'll be as quiet as a mouse," Luke smiled.

"Okay, I just bought the Fault in Our Stars maybe we can watch that," Avery quickly said walking to her DVD player. Luke smiled at her nervous behavior, although he wouldn't admit it, he was just as nervous. Avery walked back to the bed and sat next to Luke and stared at the TV not really paying attention to what was happening on screen.

"Avery," Luke said and Avery turned to him right away. "Can I- can I kiss you again?"

"Yeah, sure that's okay."

"Okay," Luke said as he scooted closer to Avery and slowly kissed her again, this time neither of them wanted to pull apart from each other.

Avery pulled away to catch her breath keeping her forehead on Luke's. Luke pecked Avery's nose. He wanted more of Avery, but he didn't want to push his luck. Avery went in for another kiss and she heard her door knob slowly moving so she pushed Luke off the opposite side of the bed and out of sight of whoever was entering her room.