Ch. 7: Back in a Flash

Velvette did have to say, when Emily put her mind to it, she did have an eye for fashion. Almost good enough to have been working for her five years ago.

"So what do you think?" Emily asked as Velvette looked at herself in a mirror.

"Huh, you actually aren't color blind, who knew?" Velvette said.

"Just because I don't show it, doesn't mean I can look fashionable when I don't want to." Emily said, smiling as she had her hands in her hips.

Velvette looked herself over once more, now clad in skinny black pants, a white sleeveless T-shirt with a red sash, and a black short cloak with a hood that reached her pants pockets.

"The cloak is sort of old school but it kind of works." Velvette said, looking over the cloak.

"I don't wear hoods much, only when I want to hide from the public... but being the princess makes it a bit hard." Emily said, shrugging.

"I can only imagine." Velvette said as she looked at her hair next, which was in a simple pony tail. "The hair could be better though."

"Hey, I can't help with that, I keep my hair short for a reason." Emily said, points to her hair.

"Still though." Velvette said before placing her hood on.

"Why the hood? Are you trying to hide yourself?" Emily asked, curious.

"Trust me, some things I've done make me want to hide my face." Velvette said.

It was understandable due to their arrogance that the Vs made a lot of enemies. And after hearing that one was kicked out and lost her power, not to mention that she was the weakest V? It put a BIG target on Velvette's back.

"Well, don't worry, you're safe so long as you're with the hotel. And ain't nobody fucking with this hotel or me." Emily said.

'That actually puts me at ease.' Velvette thought as she walked to the door.

"Let's head off. Your niece is probably getting antsy, isn't she?" Velvette said.

"Don't worry, she likes playing with Husk's tail, it'll keep her distracted." Emily said.

"For how long?" Velvette asked her.

"Last time was a full hour." Emily said as she pulled out her phone. "I still have the video from the first time."

The small baby in the video, who couldn't have even been a year old yet, kept trying to get the tail. All while making cute baby noises.

"...Now I miss my hands more than ever because I want a copy of that." Velvette said bluntly.

"Maybe later, when we get you a new, anti Vox phone." Emily said as she put her phone away. "Come on, let's go."

Emily and Velvette took the elevator back down, and walking into the lobby to see everyone in the lobby watching tv except two.

Alastor, who was reading a book, and Lucy, who was trying to catch Husk's swaying tail on the end of the couch.

"Ready to go Lucy?" Emily asked.

"Uh huh!" Lucy said as she looked at Emily and Velvette, gasping at the latter's new clothes. "Wow! You look so pretty, Ms. Vel!"

"Oh... uh... thank you?" Velvette said.

It had been so long since Velvette had been given a compliment, even if most were out of fear.

"You can thank me for that, Lucy. I helped "Vel" get all dressed up." Emily said as she picked Lucy up. "Now, who wants to go to the park?"

"YAY!" Lucy said.

"I'm ready!" Niffty shouted as she sped into the room, halting before Lucy and Emily. "I even changed for the occasion!"

Changed was right as Niffty was now in a modern outfit; a simple, "normal sized" red t-shirt that reached her knees.

'... She has other clothes?' Emily thought, surprised and having never seen Niffty wear anything else in the five years she knew her.

"Nif, are you wearing anything under that?" Angel asked, he just HAD to ask.

"Uh huh!" Niffty said, quickly lifting up the shirt! "Look!"

Emily wasted no time in covering Lucy's eyes. Despite something being there. Under the red shirt was a tiny tank top that fit Niffty and black cargo shorts.

"WHOA! I've just been flashed by a mini-cyclops!" Velvette said with wide eyes.

"Ahahahahahaha! I can't believe she actually did that!" Angel said with a laugh.

"... Well, I believe I will be heading out now." Alastor said, putting the newspaper down. "Perhaps I'll go see Rosie for a bit."

"Tell her I said hi." Velvette said, getting some looks, "... I'm not proud of what I did or tried to eat off the ground, but I can say that Rosie is a very nice lady on the few times I've run into her."

"So you're a cannibal now?" Pentious asked.

"Like I said, I'm not proud." Velvette said.

"Ah, I thought something about you felt familiar!" Alastor said, turning to Velvette. "You never forget your first bite of flesh... exhilarating feeling. Now, do enjoy your day and Lucy, listen to your aunt."

"Okay, Uncle Al!" Lucy said.

Alastor never said anything to that... but Emily could tell he liked hearing her say it. Especially when she saw his usual grin become smaller but brighter and more honest.

A real smile.

"Husk you're in charge, try not to burn the place down." Emily said, as she walked to the door.

"That wassssss one time and I apologized!" Pentious shouted.

'You look away from five minutes while handling a blowtorch and they blame you for every potential fire.' Pentious thought with a pout.

"Don't worry. The place will be fine." Husk said.

"Oh Satan I hope so." Emily mumbled as she, Lucy, Niffty, and Velvette left the hotel for the park while Alastor headed off towards Cannibal Town.