-Mate?

I smiled as Nick literally jumped out of his chair and sprinted to Melissa with the biggest smile on his face. I moved out of the way to let the mates have their moment but to my surprise, Melissa stayed behind me.

If anything she moved more behind me using me as a human shield he eyes were wide open in fright. This only made Nick growl at me as I was the only thing between him and his mate at the moment.

Feeling Melissa's fright from the pack bond I immediately went into Alpha mode and growled at Nick. He fought submission as his wolf was trying to submit feeling my authority outrank his, but Nick was too worried about his mate to submit.

Suddenly the door burst open as Aiden and Dylan ran in searching for any danger in the room. Their eyes then locked with Nicks pitch black ones before shifting to mine and Melissa's.

Dylan, grab Melissa and take her downstairs. I mind linked him not once taking my eyes off of Nick in case he decided to grab her.

Dylan quickly did as I said without question. Nick growled at Dylan for touching Melissa before whimpering at how she clung to him willingly. Dylan out of reflex from protecting her growled at Nick.

Once they were out of the room I looked at Aiden and nodded my head towards Nick who was now staring at the door without emotion.

"Alpha?" Aiden asked cautiously

No answer

"Nick?" I asked taking a step closer to him

"Does he make her happy?" He suddenly asked looking at me

"What?" I asked confused

"Does he make her happy?" he said once again, it clicked to me as I saw the heartache in his eyes. The same heartache I am pushing back right now.

"They are not together. " I said

"Then why?" He asked looking down at his voice cracked "Does she not want me?"

"No Nick it's not that, she just has problems with men," I explained taking another step closer to him.

"She didn't have a problem with the guy she just clung onto" he growled out slightly looking up at me with pitch black eyes

"Alpha it's true when I introduced myself she didn't look at me but rather tried to stay away from me," Aiden explained finally up to date on what had happened and doing his job as a beta and calming down the Alpha

"But that guy...she had no problem," Nick said as his eyes slowly went back to their normal color

"Nick she's had a rough past and he was the only one there to help her," I explained taking another step finally standing in front of him

"Rough past?" He questioned his eyes going back to his natural color

"It's not my story to tell you, all I can say is you have to take it slow like really slow. She is scared of every male she sees. I have been helping her a little bit and she has improved but she is still very afraid." I explained placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

He looked down at me and I could see the pain in his eyes at not being able to hold his mate. I wrapped my arms around him as he did the same. We stayed like that for a while before he asked something that surprised me.

"Will she reject me?" He sounded so broken at the possibility it made my heart ache in pain. I heard Aiden slightly whimpered at his Alpha and best friend being in pain.

"She wouldn't even think about it," I said confidently making him smile slightly. "All you have to do is show her what an amazing guy you are and that there is nothing to be afraid of."

"C'mon Nick lets go meet the future Luna shall we," Aiden said trying to cheer up his best friend

Nick looked at me as if asking if it was okay. I nodded yes before adding.

"No growling or touching unless she does it." He hesitated before nodding. I smiled before heading out of the office and downstairs with the boys following me.

I entered the living room seeing Dylan cradling a scared Melissa in his arms. As soon as her eyes landed on me she was in my arms in seconds.

I'm so sorry Alpha I...I just got frightened. His eyes were black and he was growling. .....it made me remember when he...

I quickly cut her off as she started shaking in my arms

Melissa, I promised you that would never happen as long as I'm around. He is your mate and he would never hurt you. He would rather be punished himself than him ever harming you. I explained as her shaking stopped.

She pulled away looking at my face for any sign of a lie. Seeing I was telling the truth she nodded then looked behind me where Nick was, looking utterly helpless in the situation.

I turned and introduced the two mates.

"Nick this is Melissa, Melissa this is Nick," I said gesturing to Nick then Melissa and vice versa

"Hi, Melissa it's great to have finally found you," Nick said holding his hand out

Melissa looked at it at first then looked at me. Nodding reassuringly she gently took his hand and shook it saying she was sorry for before.

"It's okay love," Nick said making her blush and me smile

"Okay, Melissa I'm gonna go for a run are you gonna be okay here with Nick? " I asked her eyes widened in fear as she looked at me

Just remember he won't hurt you he will always protect you I mind linked her after hesitating a little she looked at Nicks hopeful face then nodded. Nick smiled so wide it made me happy seeing my best friend so happy.

Mind link me if you need me I told Melissa

She nodded and I headed out the living room and outside. I just needed some time alone. I mean Nick just found his mate I couldn't bother him with my mate problems.

"Mind if we join you?" Aiden said

I looked at Dylan and saw he was going to come anyway and Aiden was another one of my best friends maybe I could talk to him.

We walked around the pack house without a word being said.

"So are you going to tell me what's wrong?" Aiden asked

"What do you mean nothing's wrong?" I said not looking at him

"C'mon Amber we've been friends long enough for me to know when somethings bothering you." He said stepping in front of me making me stop my walking. His face held determination and I didn't see the point in not telling him. Eventually, he would know what happened.

"It's Jose... he left without a goodbye. " I said looking at the ground

"Wait why did he leave if he was looking for you since the day you left?" Aiden asked

I sighed before explaining the whole conversation we had. From him telling me to say goodbye to me telling him to fuck off.

"Well to be honest if you were a regular she-wolf he does have a point, but your not your an Alpha of a pack stronger than his," Aiden says

"If he really wanted to be with you he would have found some way to make it work." Dylan chipped in after being silent this entire time.

"I guess you guys are right. I mean he would have just held me back." I said trying to convince myself more than them

Mates gone?

My wolf whimpered.

Yeah, mates gone for good.