Chapter 5

Stiles had noticed Lydia's absence from her bed almost immediately after she left him by himself. Still, he dozed off again for a few more minutes, unable to get up yet. When he wakes up for the second time, Lydia is still not there.

Stiles sits up lazily, stretching and looking around her bedroom. Glancing at the clock and seeing that it's almost noon, Stiles gets up and walks to her en suite bathroom, where he washes his face and checks himself in the mirror. He still doesn't look so good, but he's definitely better. Those damn dark bags under his eyes are still there but he seems to have a little more color on his cheeks.

He makes her bed; it's the least he can do to return the favor Lydia did for him. Running his hands through his hair, he tries to make it look a little more presentable because he knows that Lydia's mother is probably around. Smoothing his shirt and taking his phone from his jacket pocket, he gets out of Lydia's bedroom and goes look for the strawberry blonde but doesn't find her. Instead, he spots her mom in the kitchen. Stepping into the room, Stiles looks at her embarrassed.

"Good morning, Stiles."

He scratches the back of his neck and blushes. She doesn't look surprised to see him so he figures Lydia already talked to her. "Good morning. I uh... I'm sorry for spending the night. I shouldn't have barged in like that."

"Oh honey, it's fine. Are you feeling better? Lydia mentioned you weren't feeling so good last night..."

"Yes." It's a small smile he gives her. "Much better, actually. I should call my dad," he says, gesturing to his phone.

"Would you like to stay for lunch? I'm making lasagna." The woman smiles warmly and to Stiles she looks like Melissa when she takes care of him, like his mom used to do and he misses it. He can't help but smile back.

"I don't want to trouble you any more than I already did, but thanks for offering."

"Oh sweetheart," Natalie beams. "We'd love to have you if your father is okay with it, of course. It's always just the two of us, me and Lydia. It'd be fun. And you look like you could use a distraction."

She smiles sincerely and something tugs at Stiles' heart. It's one of the things that's making him feel worse about the whole break up thing. His mom was supposed to be here for him and she isn't and he's not sure what to do with that. He gets a little teary and lowers his head to avoid Natalie's gaze, but to no avail; she was watching him and in no time she's right in front of Stiles, pulling him into a hug. Still, he doesn't cry and she doesn't push the matter.

"You can stay as long as you want, alright?"

Stepping away from her, Stiles' hands fidget nervously with his phone but when he looks up at the woman, he gives her the most genuine smile he can manage. His voice breaks a little when he says "Thank you. I'll go call my dad and ask if I can stay for lunch. But only if I can help. I don't really do well staying on the sidelines, you know?"

Natalie nods reassuringly and smiles back. "Go on and hurry, then. You must be starving."