Chapter 10

Dinner didn't go so well. They drove to his house mostly silent but amused, blushing often when they got a glimpse of the other looking their way. So yes, arriving at his house looking slightly infatuated definitely did not help Stiles' case. The others didn't stay for long after dinner, but long enough for the Sheriff to yell at Stiles and leave the house to get back to the Station, and for Melissa to comfort him. Stiles cried in her arms like he has never done before, not with her, but boy did he need someone like her in his life right now. With Scott and Kira he just talked while Lydia held his hand again. They stayed for over an hour and it felt to Stiles like a weight was being lifted off of his soul, like he could see clearer. What the couple thought about the break up they didn't share, but Scott promised they'd talk more when Stiles felt ready. After that, Lydia and Stiles are left alone for the second time that day. Stiles looks beat.

"I can stay, if you want," she suggests.

"Thanks. I was gonna ask you to, anyway."

Lydia is so mad at the Sheriff that she could yell at the man. She likes him and has grown used to being around him, but the way he reprimanded Stiles... Yeah, Lydia might have a word or two to share with his dad. Lydia is sitting on Stiles' bed watching him while he's looking attentively at his board. Stiles is upset, of course he is, so he tries to distract himself by getting his mind off of things. Several minutes pass before he talks and turns to her. When he does, Lydia is leaning against his headboard, patiently waiting for him to say something about what happened downstairs. She won't force him to talk.

"I think we need to combine theories, you know, mine and yours," he says pointing at the board, trying not to think about the events of the past two hours. "We should never have stopped working together," he whispers, more to himself than for Lydia to hear.

"We can do it tomorrow. I'll bring my notes and we can check them out, brainstorm and stuff."

He leans against his desk and rubs his temples, trying to make his headache go away, his eyes closing shut. He stays still for so long that Lydia gets up from the bed and walks up to him, the need to make him feel better taking over her. "Hey, you okay?" she asks, cupping his cheeks. She can feel the damned current on her fingertips.

Stiles reacts. He doesn't think it through, he just does it. He leans down and kisses her. She's surprised at first but reciprocates almost immediately getting closer to him, chest meeting chest. Their lips part easily, tongues tasting the other for the first time. Stiles ends up sitting on the edge of the desk and pulling Lydia to him, his legs wrapping around her waist, his hands moving to her neck. Hers are on his hair now, pulling him down. Even in this position he's taller than her, not that she's complaining. They kiss softly, slowly healing wounds. It's the most carefree they have felt in a long time.

The kiss is not long but they still part breathless. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that," he murmurs.

"Did you feel that?" Lydia asks, incredulous, her fingers touching her lips like the sensation is still there.

"The pull?"

"Yeah."

They both felt it. Their passive urge to be with the other vanishing as soon as their lips touched, all of their worries gone for as long as their kiss lasted. The way their skin grazed like it if they had done it a million times before. How they got drunk on the other's taste, touch, breath.

He nods. "I don't know why I did that. I just..."

"You just had to. I think I get it." She gives him a small smile, blushing slightly.

He feels guilty. "God, I'm such a mess. Maybe you shouldn't stay. I..."

"Hey, I'm not going anywhere, alright?" Lydia kisses his cheek and gets away from his grip, holding out her hand. "Now, are we gonna watch Star Wars or what? I might have to kill you if I hear you whine again because most of us haven't watched it."

He looks at her like he's seeing the sun for the first time. "You'd watch it with me?"

"Not if you'll stay there all night. Come on."

His fingers entwine automatically with hers. She has rosy cheeks, she's smiling at him and her lips are red and puffy from his kiss so yes, he steals a kiss on her cheek too. She laughs quietly. "You're gonna love it."

"I doubt that," she teases as they trail downstairs to his living room.

Sitting on the couch, Stiles can't seem to get his eyes off of her. "Thanks for this." He wets his lips briefly, lowering his gaze then. "Do you hmm... Do you think we can talk, you know, about things, everything? Tomorrow?"

She nods in acceptance and smiles back. "Definitely."

They don't stay awake for long. Stiles is tired and when she catches him closing his eyes, Lydia nudges him gently and makes him walk upstairs. Curled up on his bed, they fall asleep quickly to another dreamless night.