Chapter 14

Not touching might be the worst idea they have ever had because now that they sort of agreed that they can't, they want to. And bad. To the point that they are literally walking 10 feet away from each other just to be sure. It'd be uncomfortable if they were having a conversation separated like this as they walk from Lydia's driveway to her bedroom, but they're not. In fact, they haven't shared a word since they left his house and that only makes everything weirder.

Lydia wants to say something, apologize again but her words are failing her. What is she supposed to say, anyway? I'm sorry that I kissed you, but I kind of wanted to? Yeah, that would turn out great. Okay, she can admit that part of it was definitely the tether, or at least it was what started her movements. She felt restless, she had to do something about it, and it wasn't her. But she's almost positive that by the time she got on her tiptoes back in his bedroom it was her and only her who wanted to kiss him, no other elements involved. But she couldn't stop herself. She can blame it on the tether, right?

On the other hand, Stiles is trying - and failing - not to look at her but she's right there, walking just a few feet in front of him, even if out of his immediate reach. He's just grateful that she's still wearing yesterday's clothes because if she were to be wearing a skirt as they are climbing up the stairs, Stiles would probably lose it. Still, he gets to look at her ass and it's not working that well for him either. He has to dig his nails on the palms of his hands just to make sure he behaves.

Lydia goes hide in her bathroom almost immediately with the excuse of having to take a shower. Of course she was already gonna do it, but it's mostly to escape the awkwardness of the whole situation. In the meantime, Stiles offers to take a look at her research downstairs as he waits for her; there's no way he'll be in her bedroom when she comes out wrapped in a towel. By the time she finds him in the living room, it's like he took over the place, sheets of paper spread all around him on the dining room table along with a few open books. He's fiddling with coloured markers on one of his hands and holding a pen with the other. Post its are everywhere. He almost seems entertained with the whole thing, moving on his seat to flip a page or scribble a note somewhere. He's in his element.

"Having fun?"

Stiles, being Stiles, is startled by her sudden appearance behind him and the markers end up falling to the floor. Lydia moves to help him pick them up but he's quicker, as to avoid having to touch Lydia in any way. She seems to get the message and goes sit across from him.

He pretends nothing happened. Stiles feels anxious, so he tries to disguise it with a little banter. "I see you adopted my colouring system," he says with a grin, pointing to her notes and the bestiary where there are red, yellow, green and blue post its marking whatever she considered worth taking a good look at. "It's helpful, right?"

She blushes. "Shut up."

Stiles purses his lips, amused, and gestures to the bestiary. "Care to explain?"

Lydia gets right on it; she's edgy too. "Related to our most recent supernatural threat, I used red where I found some evil creature that might resemble the one we found and green when the creature I looked up is not so much maleficent, yet relatable for some reason."

"There's only three greens to like twenty reds," he points out. Lydia narrows her eyes at him. "Alright. Yellow?"

Lydia avoids his eyes carefully like she got caught. "Oh, it's not related to the investigation."

Stiles doesn't seem to notice, at least not right away. "And blue?"

"I used it for entries that caught my attention because there's something interesting about them. Not necessarily related to our investigation or anything. The bestiary is just fascinating."

"Why blue?" He shouldn't ask but it escaped him.

Lydia shrugs her shoulders. "I don't know, I just like it."

Right, he thinks to himself. "Wait. Then what are you marking with yellow? Is there something else going on?"

He looks genuinely interested and it shouldn't matter, so Lydia answers promptly. "Possible matches for whatever Parrish is. We still haven't figured it out."

"Oh." Yes, Stiles was aware that the Deputy and the banshee had become somewhat acquainted over the past few months. He just never felt like it was his place to ask about it even if he really wanted to know. His grin vanishes quickly. "Are you..." Nope, better not go there. Stiles shakes his head slightly as if the action will make his thoughts disappear. It doesn't work. "Do you two spend a lot of time together? Researching, of course."

She's not sure if he's asking because, well, he's Stiles or, you know, other reasons. "Hmm... Some time, I guess. He still doesn't get a lot of what the bestiary is about but he's learning." Lydia doesn't even know why she's feeling the need to explain herself. "I usually visit him at the Station if I find something I think may be important. He stops by if he comes up with a theory or finds out about a new ability."

He shouldn't ask. After all, it's none of his business, right? Problem is he has to. He literally has the need to pop the damn question or it's like he can't breathe. This tether thing is getting too out of control for his liking. Stiles deliberately chooses not to look at her, afraid it will make everything worse. "Are you guys...? I mean, are you two...?"

"What, Stiles?" Why do you care? she thinks to herself. Lydia senses it too, a heaviness in her throat, the need to push him over the edge and make him voice his intents.

"You know what, never mind," he answers. They can feel the tension between them rise with each sentence.

"No! What it is?" She looks peeved.

"It's nothing." Nervous, he gets up and starts walking around the table to make his way to the kitchen. "I'll uh... I'll go grab a glass of water, I'll be right back."

Lydia gets up and blocks his way instantly, standing right in front of him. "You are not going anywhere, Stiles. What were you going to ask?"

His mouth is getting drier by the second and it's not from thirst. "Lydia, just leave it. I shouldn't have asked."

"You didn't even finish the question!" she exclaims, frustrated.

Lydia really needs to confirm he's asking what she thinks he's asking and the reason why, and Stiles obviously wants to know the answer to his question but is not sure if Lydia would want to know why he has to. They both know the tether is pushing its strings right now and they can't control themselves. All there is left to do is bicker.

She crosses her arms in front of her chest, clearly annoyed. "I'm waiting."

What she is, really, is too close because the need to kiss is there again and soon Stiles finds himself a little out of breath. "I- I was just wondering if you two had something going on," he lets out, looking down and avoiding her gaze.

"Like what?" Her tone sounds a little more accusatory than she intended to.

He bites back, gesturing excessively. "You know what I mean, Lydia."

"I'm not sure I do."

"What do you think?" Their tones rise.

"I don't know, Stiles. You won't ask the stupid question!"

"Oh my god, you're so stubborn. Does it even make a difference?"

"Yes!" she blurts out, yelling. "Yes it does, Stiles. Would you ask it already?"

He doesn't hesitate this time. "Are you two together?"

"No. Would it make a difference if we were?"

"Yes!"

They stay quiet for a long time just staring at each other with uneven breaths, trying their best not to give in to the kiss.

"Okay, now that we've established that, can I go get my glass of water?" Stiles is really trying to appear unaffected by what just happened but their proximity is not really working in his favour. Nor her rosy cheeks or her pouty lips. God, he needs to move away.

Lydia is thinking the same thing about him. "Fine!" she says, upset.

He storms past her. "Fine!"