Chapter 11

Stiles opened the door for Scott a little after 8 am; he had texted him before so that they could talk. Lydia is fast asleep on his bed, so the boys move to the kitchen for breakfast.

Stiles can't lie. Waking up to Lydia sleeping beside him might be the best thing that has ever happened in his life but no, he's so not gonna share that with Scott. He saw the way his best friend looked at them apprehensive last night and the last thing Stiles needs right now is another lecture. The boys sit at Stiles' kitchen table with their bowls of cereals in hand and relax, eating while they talk.

"So how are you? Really."

"I'm not sure," Stiles answers honestly. "I just... The break up could have been less public and stupid. That's what I got for trying to be the good guy, I guess. Karma has a twisted sense of humour, I must say."

"It wasn't your fault, Stiles. You know that."

"I know." Stiles lowers his head. "It's just too many things at once. It's senior year and I've been trying my hardest to keep up but well, Malia, so now I have to work even harder. And it's all the supernatural shit that keeps popping up. And my dad. And Lydia. And I miss my mom and it's all just a big mess and since I already lost my sanity once, I'd like to hold on to the one I have right now, thank you very much. But god, someone is for sure testing me."

"Your dad did go kind of overboard last night, dude."

"Yeah, a little."

"No, Stiles, not a little. A lot. You should talk to him."

They have had this discussion before. "I'm just tired of it, Scott. He doesn't trust me or believe in me. I don't know what else to do."

"You two need to sit down and talk, Stiles, or else it'll stay the same."

"I've tried talking to him, Scott, several times. He doesn't listen. He still thinks I'm the little kid that lost his mom. Well, guess what? I grew up!"

"You know there are a lot of things that he still doesn't know about what we do. He doesn't know about all the things you've done for us, for everyone..."

"I don't think he cares. I'm so sick of it. Mom listened, okay? And it might have been years ago and I was just a kid back then, but she listened. And it still feels like it was yesterday. I mean, your mom almost listens to me more than my dad these days..." Stiles exhales deeply and blushes embarrassed, remembering the way he had broken down on Melissa's arms the night before. "And uh... By the way, sorry about last night. I kind of took over your mom..."

"It's fine, Stiles. You're my brother, man." Stiles feels a little lighter already.

"Yeah, but I don't think that gives us the right to share her, you know?" he says, narrowing his eyes a bit.

They both chuckle. "Well, I don't think she minded that much." Scott smiles at Stiles reassuringly.

Stiles smiles bright. "Thanks, bro."

"And uh... Lydia?"

Stiles tries to keep his cool. "What about her?"

"You guys seemed pretty close."

"Yeah, I guess."

"Why did you go to her? After what happened, I mean?"

"I don't know." Stiles pauses and Scott waits until he continues. "She gets me, you know? And it's probably the tether and the whole sacrifice thing, but she gets me and I get her. It's different with her. You are my best friend, Scott, no offense, but it's just not the same."

"I can hold your hand too," Scott teases remembering last night.

Stiles frowns but laughs. "Shut up."