Chapter 10

He tried. Stiles had tried to nap for a little while on the way to Lydia's house. He'd have fifteen, maybe twenty minutes with traffic, to rest his eyes. The thing is Ariel just wouldn't shut up, excited, and it was all his dad's fault. While Melissa and Lydia had stayed behind to dress Stiles back at the hospital, John had taken Emma and Ariel for a walk. To distract the kids from being away from their moms, he had taken them to the Maternity ward to see the newborn babies so yes, Ariel is all happiness and giggles right now.

"Sweetie, Stiles is tired. You'll tell him all about it tomorrow, alright?" Lydia can see his efforts to stay awake for the little girl in the rearview mirror.

Ariel continues babbling and Stiles smiles. "It's okay, Lyds. So how many babies did you see, Ariel?"

The girl opens her arms and smiles bright. "Millions."

"Really?" he says, amused. "Wow."

"I want one, but mommy said they had to stay in the hospital."

Lydia blushes hard at her daughter's innocent comment and looks briefly at Stiles before getting her eyes on the road again. Stiles just laughs. "It's true, munchkin. You saw them. They were small, right?" The girl nods, paying attention. "Well, when they're small like that they need the doctors to look after them. And they need their moms and their dads, you know? You couldn't just take one, they'd be sad." The girl frowns but seems to be taking his words into consideration and stays silent for the rest of the drive. Lydia and Stiles share a few swift glances, smiling and blushing slightly when the other's gaze is upon them.

xxxxxxxxxx

They are followed home by John and Melissa to help them set up. In no time, Stiles falls asleep on Lydia's bed even if it's barely 7pm. The others have dinner and make plans for the next day. Ariel didn't want to go to sleep, continuously sneaking to her mom's room to see if Stiles was awake. By the time Lydia successfully puts her daughter to bed it's almost midnight. Finally making it to her room, Lydia leaves her door slightly ajar, and combs her hair. When she takes off her clothes to change into her nightgown, Stiles startles her.

"Yeah, I can get used to waking up to this." He's smirking.

Lydia blushes but doesn't let him get away with spying on her, although unintentionally. Looking right at him, she takes off her bra and puts on her nightgown, grinning at him. He's dumbstruck. "If I had known you were looking, I would have put on a show," she teases, walking towards the bed.

Stiles is speechless. By the time she lays down on the bed at his right (because his left side is the one that was hurt the most) and gets closer to him under the covers, his mouth is still dry. "Sorry, Lyds."

She turns to lay on her stomach right beside him, supporting herself on her forearms. "It's okay." She lowers her head a little, her cheeks rosy. "Shouldn't you be asleep?"

They whisper.

"You were lucky Ariel didn't hear you drop your phone like ten minutes ago, because I sure did."

Lydia and her clumsy hands. "I checked up on her, she's out finally. Sorry I woke you."

"It's okay. I got to see that, so thank you," Stiles smiles.

"I see you're better," she teases. "Maybe you didn't need to stay here after all."

"Oh no, no," he interjects, laughing softly. "I can't leave. I need you to take care of me."

"I can take care of you alright." She moves closer and steals a kiss. Her lips brush his as she speaks. "How are you feeling?"

"Better now." He moves his left hand to caress her cheek and pull Lydia to another kiss, deeper now. "Yes, definitely better."

"You are such a kid," she scolds him playfully.

"And still, you love me."

Their tone is amused and she looks at him to search for any signs of insecurity. There's nothing. Like before, saying it out loud doesn't change a thing. They are both smiling. "Yeah, I guess I do."

"Good." He moves his thumb in lazy circles on her cheek the same way Lydia is doing with her fingers on his arm. "It'd be kind of weird if we had to take it back, now that I've seen them," Stiles teases, cheeks bright red, looking down at her chest.

Lydia lowers her gaze too. Her nightgown doesn't have much cleavage but her position certainly gives Stiles a strategic point of view. She laughs. "Well, then you'd better take a good look because you're not getting any until you're up and running."

Stiles does take his time to answer her. He's abashed. "God, I'm so stupid."

"Remember not to pull another stunt like that the next time we go on a date."

"Oh, I don't think we'll be leaving the house next time."

"Fine by me."

Lydia smiles and bites her lower lip. Stiles stops her with a quick kiss. "I love you."

She smiles wide. "And I love you."

"Just FIY, I'm gonna be saying that a lot," Stiles chuckles.

"Good." Lydia moves to turn off the lights and then turns on her side facing him, her head falling to rest on his shoulder. "Is this okay?"

"It's perfect," he murmurs.

"I meant, am I hurting you? I can move away..."

"You can move closer, actually, it's fine." She does and Stiles moves his right hand, the one that's injured, up to lay down next to the pillow so that Lydia doesn't accidentally hurt him. She's so close that Stiles can feel her breath on his neck. He kisses her forehead. "See? Perfect."

His left hand finds her right to entwine their fingers and they relax into each other, soon dozing off to a much deserved peaceful evening.