Chapter 13

It's past eleven when Lydia gets home completely loaded, carrying more bags in her arms than she can almost bear just to make it on one trip upstairs. After leaving Ariel, she had met briefly with Isaac and Cora, stopped by Derek's coffee shop to get some donuts for Stiles – the ones he won't shut up about, with a flossy top and chocolate filling the way he likes it -, went to his house to get some of his things and then she stopped by the grocery store.

As she puts away the groceries and Stiles tries to help – even if he can't do much, which only makes him feel a little guilty -, Lydia tells him that Cora and Isaac offered to bring Ariel home later because there's something they want to talk about.

"Cora is gonna ask you to be her bridesmaid, for sure," Stiles says, nonchalantly.

"Oh, you think?"

"Yeah, you two are pretty close." They are. Lydia and Cora became friends almost instantly and, aside from Allison and Stiles, Cora is the one Lydia likes to talk to the most. Being a teacher and all, she's a pretty good listener. "And we kind of always do this, like when someone from the group gets married, the others are bridesmaids and groomsmen and all that jazz you know, so it's an educated guess," he smiles. "And the wedding is probably gonna be soon, right? I mean, how far long is she?"

"8 weeks, give or take."

Stiles laughs loudly and ends up whining in pain, his left hand moving to his chest quickly as if it can soothe the hurting. "You didn't know Cora when she was younger but she was such a rebel, you have no idea, Lyds. Like 'I'm never getting married', 'Kids? Over my dead body', you know? And she did so much shit, Derek couldn't handle her for the most part. It took a lot of him to raise her after their parents' death when they were teens. And then Isaac came along and it's like Cora turned into this completely different person and now she's getting married, pregnant."

"Is that why Derek seems to both loathe and love Isaac?"

"I guess. I mean, it's great that she found someone and Derek knows that. Isaac is perfect for Cora but deep down I think Derek is just mad that Isaac didn't show up sooner. Would have avoided so many embarrassing stories for Derek..."

Lydia chuckles. "Well, they're in love and they look happy. That's what counts. And the smile on their faces when they told us about the baby, it was priceless." Her chest tightens a little and for a moment she feels warm but Lydia doesn't say anything about it. Still it probably showed on her features because Stiles, who was leaning against one of the counters, walks up to Lydia to kiss her cheek.

"So will you be my plus one or should I find someone else to go with me?"

Lydia rolls her eyes in typical Lydia fashion. "Stiles, we are both gonna be at the wedding."

"I know. But I don't want us to just be there. I want us to go together." He steals a kiss. "I want to go with you."

"Officially?" she whispers.

Internally he's freaking out a little but on the outside he remains calm and holds her gaze. "Yes. If you're okay with that."

Lydia purses her lips in a smile and pats his chest lightly before stealing a kiss herself. "No plus ones, then." Like that was ever even a choice.

Stiles grins. "Just us."

xxxxxxxxxx

They are both a little stubborn. Stiles insists on helping her out somehow but he can't. He feels immensely guilty for everything she's been doing for him, from letting him stay to taking care of him. And it doesn't go unnoticed to Stiles how tired Lydia looks so he wants to make it a little better. He starts by helping her put away some groceries but eventually his breathing becomes a little shallow and he whines lowly when grabbing something a little heavier than he can handle, especially on just one functional hand. As soon as Lydia notices this, she scurries him away from the kitchen. Stiles insists on being told to do something, so Lydia suggests that he puts away some of his clothes in her closet because she had made room for him. It results in Stiles complaining because he didn't want her to have such a trouble. He is soon left speechless when Lydia retorts "God, Stiles, what's the big deal? Aren't you my boyfriend?"