Chapter 14

Friday goes by in a blur.

In the morning, Lydia drops Ariel off at the preschool and then comes back home to pick up Stiles and take him to his first physical therapy session, and while he's there Lydia busies herself with phone calls concerning work. Needless to say, by the end of the session Stiles is completely beat and sore as hell and ends up swallowing his pride and confessing to Lydia that maybe they should've brought the wheelchair, that's he's not feeling too comfortable in walking back to her car – which she had parked 2 blocks away from the clinic, out of luck in finding a better spot - and that he might need a minute or two to gather some strength to do so.

Thankfully for him, Lydia had assumed as much and had put the chair in her car without him knowing so that he couldn't protest against it, and Lydia promptly makes a run to the vehicle to get it for him. By the time they get home and are finished with lunch, Stiles falls on the bed sound asleep for the entirety of the afternoon. Lydia leaves him a note letting him know that she'll be at her doctor's appointment in case he wakes up in the meantime to find that she's gone, but by the time that Lydia returns with Ariel already in tow, Stiles is still passed out.

Lydia doesn't want to wake him up because he looks too tired. Even Ariel seems to notice it and chooses to keep her mom company in the kitchen instead of checking on Stiles constantly like she's grown used to do as of late. And unfortunately for Stiles, when he wakes up the little girl is gone.

His chapped lips fall into a pout. "I really wanted to see her," he mutters almost breathlessly, inhaling and exhaling ever so shortly because of the pain and on top of that, if he's being honest, he's almost fighting back tears and he's not even sure why.

It nearly aches Lydia physically just to look at his saddened expression, pure heartbreak plastered on his features. "I'm really sorry, Stiles," she murmurs, sitting down with him at the table again and handing him another glass of water to keep him hydrated. Both girls had tried waking him up several times by the end of the afternoon to no avail. He'd stir a bit, moan and whine in pain, so Lydia ended up having to convince Ariel to go without saying goodbye to Stiles. Both girls are just as gloomy about it as he is. "But you'll see her tomorrow. She still wants to surprise you, don't worry."

Stiles only woke up an hour ago and he's still weary. He's using the wheelchair again, sharing dinner with Lydia at around 9 at night. "But I- I had promised her I'd go trick or treating with her and now I'm not even seeing her tonight..."

It's Halloween and everyone was supposed to stop by Lydia's house around seven to pick up Ariel while bringing all the kids in costumes for Stiles to see, since Stiles is usually the one who has the most fun with the kids this time of the year. The little girl was supposed to go with the others trick or treating while Lydia was gonna stay behind with Stiles, but because Stiles ended up being completely knocked out, Lydia asked Liam to pick up her daughter by himself instead, so that no one would disturb Stiles' much needed rest. Liam – who formed a connection with the little redhead almost immediately and who Lydia trusts her daughter with every day of the week – is supposed to bring her back by eleven, eleven thirty depending on how much fun the kids are having, but due to Stiles' pain medication, he'll be asleep again by then. It only bothers him more.

Lydia places her hand on top of his, squeezing lightly in understanding. "I really am sorry, Stiles. You wouldn't awake. Even Ariel eventually gave up, saying that you were like Sleeping Beauty, you know, in an eternal sleep and all," she chuckles, trying to lighten up his mood.

"So I'm a princess now, is that it?" he asks, frowning at first but a smile easily making his way to his lips at the thought of the little girl saying something like that.

"A bit of a damsel in distress, I'd say," Lydia muses. "You just need your rest, so lets finish up here and go to bed and you'll see her tomorrow. She'll spoil you and probably won't leave your side anyway," she remarks honestly, knowing for a fact that that's what's going to happen. At that, Stiles grins and Lydia swears his eyes lit up.