XII: Devil's Diary

❝Keep a diary and it'll keep you.❞

Entry #17

Dear Diary,

I know it's stupid of me to write again, and probably a bad idea considering the fact that I'm more fucked up than ever, but I really wanted to get something off my chest, something that I'm about to tell you. I don't know if this is safe, if writing my heart out is the right thing to do, because if somebody outside this house reads it, I don't know what's going to happen. Now that I think about it, it's absolutely wrong to say this out loud—almost close to a sin, probably because I was sworn to secrecy—and probably because this might destroy my whole family. But then again, my life was never on track anyway. And I guess it won't do much damage to me, only to my parents—mostly my Dad, if this somehow gets out. But I don't care now. I really don't. There's a limit to how much torture a human can suffer. And I've had enough.

So here's my big confession: Raina Anderson is not—was not—my biological sister. She was adopted.

So, why is her being adopted such an issue, right?

Well, here's the answer: I think she died because of that.

Why do I think that?

Let me tell you a story before that; a stupid, senseless tale which is not at all, and still somehow related to my story.

Once upon a time, there was a kingdom, and that kingdom had a prince.

The prince had everything he could possibly want; money, fame, pelf, power... you name it. Ever since he was a kid, he was given the things he wanted before he could even ask for it. That kind of effortless charity and attention had him completely spoiled and ruined. He was tainted with extensive lavish and love. Burning with extinguished desire; drowning in the sea of soft petals.

But he still had one mission in his life that kept him going: one unaccomplished mission that, like an enormous hole in his well-built marble sculpture.

The prince was the heir to the throne; he was to expand his empire like his father. Like the King. The normal hierarchy, the regular cycle. The father passing his heritage to his eldest child. The common courtesy.

And here comes the twist.

The prince falls for the wrong girl.

Now don't ask me who that girl is...because truth to be told, I don't know either.

So, yeah, he falls in love with the girl. He loves her a lot. A lot more than he expected he could ever love. A lot more than she deserved to be loved. A lot more than anyone had ever been loved. And the girl...well, like I said before, I don't know either, maybe she loved him back, maybe she didn't. Maybe she was just using him for fun, or maybe she returned his feelings, or maybe she didn't.

All I know is that she came from a dysfunctional family, nothing more, nothing less, which was an absolute no-no for the prince's father, i.e., the King. So, as expected, the King gets furious.

Now, now, the story would have been much simpler had he just died from heart attack or a stroke.

But instead, he survives, and he gets pissed, so pissed that, in fact, he threatens his son that if he didn't let go of that girl, then, he'd be eliminated from the family hierarchy.

So what does the prince do? Does he follow his father's advice and acts rationally by letting go of the girl and moving on? Does he ignore the King and choose his love over his duties? Does he convince his father to seek the girl's parents and get married? Does he run away with her on a unicorn, over the sunset as they gaze at the rainbow—all the mushy shit about eternity and happily ever after? Does he get married with her and also become the King anyway? Does he take over the throne, get someone other perfect wife according to his father and keep the wrong girl as his mistress for the rest of life?