FIFTY

It's one of those rare instances that Kyle is home with the two. She alternates between spending her days in Manila with her Mito and Pita, as well as her Lolo Enteng. She knows something is up with her parents, and only wishes her absence can move it further along.

When Vince and Elaine wake up on Friday, the day they are leaving for Baguio, they find their daughter in the kitchen, making breakfast for them. She looks ready to leave - - or maybe she just arrived.

She tells them to sit down and just let her do all the work, all the while discussing what needs to be done during "Baguio Part One".

"Wait, bakit ka nagbibilin?" Elaine asks. "You're - -"

"-- not coming. Jake's arriving next week and I need to pick him up from the airport. He hasn't really sat down with the grandparents, 'di ba?"

"So - -"

"So this trip, the errands, just gonna be you and Papa. I mean... you're my wedding organizers, right?" She puts some scrambled eggs on a plate and hands it to Vince. "Anyway, Ma, I've sent all the details to you via email."

"Why didn't you just put it in the calendar?" Elaine asks as she reaches for her plate.

"You won't be able to see it."

"Ha?"

"I unsynced our calendars already."

Of course this is news to Elaine. And maybe it stings also because of the way Kyle has said it. Was she even going to tell her mother that she did it? Why did she have to do it?

Vince takes note of the way Elaine is trying not to frown, or look upset. But she isn't very successful at this. He doesn't really know what's going on, what this sync thing is about, so he asks, "Anong meron sa kalendaryo?"

"My Google calendar is - - was - - synced with Mama's," Kyle simply says, putting two glasses of mango shake before them.

The calendar was part of Elaine and Kyle's "trust model." Since they moved to Chicago, Kyle has been given more freedom than most mothers would perhaps be comfortable to allow. Elaine's only request is that she be honest, from where she's going to who she's with to how she feels.

After a big fight over Kyle not coming home the night after a school event (she went bowling, then to a pizza place, with her classmates), she introduced the synced online calendar as a peace offering to Elaine, with a promise that she'll be truthful.

She has not failed Elaine since.

Well... until now.

Vince catches Kyle's eyes. He makes a slight gesture towards Elaine, who starts eating, and his daughter only shakes her head, as if telling him not to smother her mother with consolation or whatever.

Kyle excuses herself to prepare a new overnight bag for staying at Enteng's, but Elaine speaks, "Teka... It's Mother's Day on Sunday."

Vince looks at Elaine, who's looking at Kyle. He turns to their daughter as well.

"Yeah, it is... We'll just celebrate when you get back, okay?"

"But you've never missed one."

Elaine doesn't even bother to mask the disappointment in her voice this time. She keeps Kyle's stare, waiting for an answer. Vince doesn't really know what to say either. Mother's Day has always been family time - - at least as far as he remembers when Kyle was a kid, since he made it a point to treat Mama extra special on that day.

"After Sunday pa kasi ang dating ni Jake, Ma... Basta we'll go out on a date, okay? We'll set it."

Kyle offers a smile and Elaine forces one, too. She can only nod. Vince turns to her as their daughter walks away from the kitchen. He holds her hand. "You okay?"