SIXTY

After lunch (and a long nap for her), Vince hands Elaine a Speedo suit and sandals.

"I need this to watch the sunset?"

"Basta kasi isuot na lang."

She does and comes out of the room putting her hair up in a ponytail. She frowns when she finds him smiling as he looks on. "What?"

"Wala naman."

"May hirit ka na naman... Go ahead."

"Ang sexy mo lang... Sarap i-paint." He clicks his tongue and makes matching curve gestures. "But you already know that." He stands up, leaving her stumped for a moment, and heads to the door leading to the beach.

She follows him. He already has a life vest on and holding one for her, too. He stops near the water and motions at her to hurry.

She frowns. "Jetski? Really?"

"Just like in Bali. Remember that?"

Of course she does: It was a surprise for their seventh anniversary, their first trip out of the country together. It was her first time in Bali, too, as well as the first time they ever left Kyle for that long (a week).

It was back when her business with Ampy was just beginning to blossom. It was the time when he asked if they could try to have the next baby, and she agreed. It was a trip of motorcycle rides, eating noodles and rice, laughing as they got lost.

Getting on a jetski before sunset so they could watch it while out on the sea, content to just be together in a picture-perfect memory.

Of course she remembers how happy she was then.

But she can only stay quiet and let him help her into the vest, adjusting it to fit her better. He smiles when he's satisfied, then walks to the bench, where a couple of fishermen sit, grinning at him, too. He comes back with sunglasses and puts one on her.

"There... Tara?"

He helps her up the jetski, then pushes it a bit further into the water. "Ikaw magdrive?"

"Ay ayoko!"

"I'm right behind you."

"No. Kalokohan mo 'to so ikaw ang mag-drive."

He laughs as she moves to the back. The fishermen approach to keep the jetski steady. Long time no see, sir! they tell him, giving her the impression that the property wasn't bought just a month ago. But for how long? And why, when before she and Kyle returned home there was no inkling that she would ever come back?

Vince starts the engine and by instinct, she holds on to his shoulders. 

She notices the GoPro camera seemingly clipped in front of the jetski. "Are we shooting another video for Kyle?"

He smiles. "Pwede... But just ignore that. Enjoy lang tayo."

As they drive out further, she wraps her arms around his waist. He turns to her slightly as he maneuvers the jetski, accelerating, and she hits his arm.

"Don't go too fast!" she yells amid the noise.

"Just enjoy it!" he says back.

And so she does. At first she clings on to him as a koala would to a tree, but as they make it further out into the water, she gathers enough strength to stand up, hands on his shoulders.