SIXTY-ONE

Vince heads to the kitchen to prepare that midnight snack dessert that he promised her. It's not the dessert he's really interested in, but just to give her some privacy, so she could get dressed. 

And just to actually let it all sink in.

It felt the same way it used to and it still ran in his head -- the way she sighed and held on to him, how they synced, how he whispered I love you that she answered with a kiss, how they could barely breathe by the end of it all, foreheads pressed against each other, the way she smiled when he kissed the tip of her nose before settling on her side, covering her with the blanket. After a moment of silence, they found themselves turning to each other at the same time. He asked if she needed some water. She nodded. So he stepped out.

He returns carrying a tray with a saucer with two slices cakes -- red velvet and choco-caramel -- plus two bottles of water. He finds her lying on her side, wearing a polo of his, facing the window and the view of the sea and the moon. He puts the food down on the table, then gets back in bed beside her, arm around her waist.

He plants a kiss on her shoulder and she turns her head slightly, reaching for his hair. 

"You okay?" he asks. She nods. "Having second thoughts already?"

"About what?"

"Well, I hope not about the sex?"

She giggles, but it fades after a moment. She holds on to his hand, puts it on her pillow so she could rest her cheek against it. He gets his free arm under her neck so he could hold her closer. 

"Parang pinagsisisihan mo bigla, ha?"

"Hindi nga..."

"I used to be able to read your thoughts..." 

"You'll get the hang of it soon."

"So while I haven't... Can you tell me muna?" 

"Wala naman... I'm okay. A bit tired."

"Did I hurt you?"

She shakes her head and smiles tentatively. "Not exactly a virgin, Vince."

"Just asking... It's been a while."

"Yeah..."

Silence.

He pulls her closer, playing with her hair, watching her face. 

Waiting. 

But it's a question he can't hold back. "Lei?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you happy? Today, I mean."

A pause. Then she shoots back, "You really need to ask?"

"Because I know I am happy... I'm probably the happiest mokong in all of Region I right now.... And it's only going to make sense if you're happy, too. So... are you?"

When she doesn't reply, he leans forward to see her face better. Her hand on his. Quiet. 

He sighs.

---------------------------------------------------

Vince had been asking. For months. And the answer was no. Had been no for the past three months.

And he was fine with it. Except that she had begun to get angsty whenever he did ask. He didn't think he was makulit, because he had only brought it up thrice... or thereabout. Elaine seemed a bit defensive, offended almost, and he just wanted to know why.

So he asked again.

And got her frowning.

"Ako nga tapatin mo," he said, leaning closer, his voice still low because they were at his family's living room. "Ayaw mo ba sa'kin?"