ONE HUNDRED

The ceremony proceeds as solemn as Kyle is hoping it will be, and for that, Elaine is glad. An intimate, no-frills church wedding. Everything by the missalette.

She, however, is not doing very well at paying attention, glancing every now and then at Vince, who's intent to just be present at the ceremony. He sings along with the choir, he utters the prayers — things he normally doesn't do, except when it's Ama Namin and giving each other the sign of peace.  

In the middle of the priest's sermon, Vince catches her looking at him. He smiles. "What?"

She shakes her head. "Did we have a sermon at our wedding?"

"Oo... Tagalog, 'di ba? 'Yung love raw ng Diyos ang dapat tularan natin —"

" — sa pagbuo natin ng pamilya..."

He nods.

"Will they have personal vows mamaya? Sa reception?"

"Why'd you ask?"

"Wala lang... kasi uso 'yon, 'di ba? I mean sa mga bata... Sa kasal natin next year, gusto ko may ganoon..."

She smiles. "Seryoso talaga 'yon?"

"Alin?"

"A wedding? Kasal na naman tayo, 'di ba?"

"Pwede namang mag-renew ng vows, 'di ba? I want to give you the wedding you've always wanted..."

"Magga-gown ako nang bongga, ganoon?"

Their conversation is interrupted when the priest steps off the lectern and stands behind the altar table anew to lead the Rite of Marriage. Everyone is asked to stand up, particularly Kyle and Jake, who face each other. 

"Joaquin and Erica, have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourself to each other in marriage?"

"Yes, Father," they both reply to one microphone.

"Will you love and honor each other as man and wife for the rest of your lives?"

"Yes, Father."

"Will you accept children lovingly from God and bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church?"

Even through the veil, they can see Kyle wrinkling her nose at her groom with the mention of children. Then her expression falls serious again as they reply, "Yes, Father."

"Since it is your intention to enter into marriage, join your right hands, and declare your consent before God and his Church."

Kyle and Jake hold hands, and he begins at the cue of the priest.

"I, Joaquin, take thee, Erica, to be my wife..." 

He smiles, already at the verge of tears. "I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad... in sickness and in health... I will love..." 

His voice cracks and he sniffs, moving away from the mic. Kyle shakes his arms with hers. He takes a deep breath. "I will love you... and honor you... all the days of my life."

Kyle gives his hand a reassuring touch, then pays attention to the priest, repeating the vows: "I, Erica, take thee, Joaquin, to be my husband..." 

She pauses when her voice cracks. "My husband... I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad... in sickness and in health... I will love you and honor you all the days of my life."

----------------

The priest moves to blessing the rings, and the exchange. As they watch, Vince takes Elaine's left hand in his, feeling her wedding band. She looks at him and smiles. When he catches her look, he brings her hand to his lips and kisses her ring, as Kyle slips the wedding band on Jake's finger.