[9]

Beyonce KnowlesHouston, TXOctober 4, 2024

Beyonce Knowles
Houston, TX
October 4, 2024

"Oh! Dr. Knowles, I didn't think you were still here," she said, surprise in her voice. Her eyes scanned the chart in my hands before meeting mine.

"I'm not," I replied, my tone calm but rushed. "My flight leaves in thirty minutes. I just needed to check on my patient before I go."

We were going in my jet, so I wasn't panicking. I would just have to pay my pilot extra if i'm late, which was no issue.

Lena's eyes softened with a mixture of respect and concern. "How long will you be gone?"

"I took two weeks off," I said, pulling my phone from my pocket as it buzzed against the fabric. My sister's name flashed across the screen, but I pressed the side button and slid it back into my white coat pocket.

"But if I decide to stay longer, I'll still have my pager. You can reach me if anything comes up."

Lena nodded, her usual efficiency kicking in as she took the chart from my hands. "We'll manage, but you know it won't be the same without you."

I gave her a soft laugh, my mind already on my flight, but I wasn't about to leave without ensuring my patient would be well cared for. I leaned in slightly, flipping through the chart to the medication orders. "Alright, make sure you're giving her 500mg of acetaminophen every six hours for pain, and continue the amoxicillin, 875mg, twice a day for the next five days. Watch out for any allergic reactions, though she's been tolerating it well so far. If her temperature spikes above 101, start her on 650mg of ibuprofen as well, but only if necessary."

Lena jotted down the notes as I spoke, nodding along. "Vitals every four hours?"

"Yes," I confirmed, my tone more serious now. "And don't forget to monitor her fluid intake closely. I want her on 125mL of normal saline per hour, and if her BP drops below 100/60, adjust accordingly. Call me if there are any changes. I'll expect an update every day."

"Of course," Lena replied.

I gave her one last nod, handing her the chart and stepping back. With that, I was on my way out, my mind already switching gears to the two weeks of freedom ahead—but always ready, just in case.

I removed my coat, carrying it in my hands as I walked outside and got into the truck. The driver pulled off, and I knew my bags were already on the plane with Solange. I also knew she was probably cussing me out for not answering her call.

When we pulled up at the jet, I got out and walked toward it. As I boarded, I was surprised to see Solange and our mother sitting inside. I hadn't realized she was coming, but I figured she wanted to see her niece.

"About damn time," Solange said with a smirk. I just waved her off before bending down to hug my mother.

"Hi, Mommy. I didn't know you were coming."