[50]

Beyonce Knowles Houston, TX

Beyonce Knowles
Houston, TX

I carried a sleeping Amora into the house, cradling her small frame gently against my chest. It was 5:30 p.m., and we'd had a long but fun day of shopping and going to the movies.

Amora had been all smiles, and that made me happy, even though tomorrow was the start of a difficult journey filled with tests and needles.

I felt a deep ache in my chest, knowing how hard it was going to be for her, but I kept reminding myself it was all for her own good.

I laid her down carefully in the guest bedroom, pulling the covers over her, then tiptoed back downstairs. I headed toward the car to grab the bags when Nicki walked in. She stopped in the doorway and looked at me.

"Baby, we need to talk," she said.

"You didn't feel the need to talk about it before, so I'm good," and walked past her toward the car, not even looking back.

I grabbed the rest of the bags and came back inside, dropping them onto the floor. Nicki was still standing there, watching me, her face full of frustration.

"Beyoncé, it's not as deep as you're making it," she said, her voice rising slightly.

"Okay," I muttered, turning to walk away again, but she grabbed my arm, stopping me in my tracks.

"Listen to me and stop walking away. You're childish," she snapped.

I let out a short laugh and pointed to myself. "I'm childish?"

"Yes, you're acting childish. Let me explain to you," she said, clearly annoyed.

I walked over to the couch and leaned back, crossing my arms. Nicki followed, sitting down next to me. She turned toward me, her face softening.

"Rihanna works with me now," she said.

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Oh, forreal?"

"They have me training her and showing her everything," she continued. "I gave her my number for work only. We all have each other's numbers."

I stared at her, not saying anything for a moment, just letting the silence hang between us.

Finally, I spoke, my voice low. "You didn't think you should've told me this?"

Nicki sighed. "I didn't think it was that serious, baby. It was strictly for work purposes."

"But it is serious," I said, my tone sharpening. "You're in a relationship, and your ex still wants you."

Nicki reached out, grabbing my hand. "I'm sorry, baby. I should've told you. I don't want you mad at me right now. I need you, please."

I sighed, my shoulders softening a little. "I don't want you working with her."