Chapter Seven | Spinner's End Fair, August 1976

Chapter Seven

Spinner's End Fair, August 1976

    As summer slowly began to wean, the inhabitants of Hazel and Lily’s town were getting ready for the fair happening in a nearby farmers field. It had taken a lot of convincing, as it did every year, but Mo had finally agreed to let Hazel go and enjoy one last day with Lily before she left again for school.

Both girls sat on Hazel’s bed, getting ready for the fair and having a great time doing it; they were sixteen, the world was theirs to explore-and so was Hazel’s extensive knowledge of sewing. Well, magic sewing.

“Geez Zel, these look great!” Lily gushed, turning the tube top over in her hands; there was a small lace border around the green top, and she hurried to put it one.

“I just know the spell, and I’ve been practicing.” Hazel shrugged and with a flick of her wand finished the finishing touches on her own top. Late seventies fashion wasn’t really her thing, nor Lily’s, but both decided to give it a try; which meant tube tops and floral skirts for the both of them.

A little while later, both girls stood in front of Hazel’s full length mirror, admiring themselves. Lily’s white floral skirt went nicely with her green top, and Hazel liked the black and white she had going on-both felt giddy with excitement.

“We look great!” Lily said, turning to get a look at her back; her red hair was in a long and loose fishtail braid.

“I think that’s an understatement.” Grinned Hazel, tugging at her hair “We look fantastic!”

Soon they escaped the Manor and practically ran down the hill, holding their shoes in their hands, screeching at the steeper parts and landing at the bottom in a heap, giggling wildly. The walk from the hill to the field was short, as Hazel had been able to see the set up from the back yard of her house. Soon the joined the crowds, and bought their tickets to enter the grounds.

The air smelled sweet, and everyone around them was laughing and smiling; there were couples of all ages, families and friends all together to have a fun. There was the ferric wheel and candy floss, games and music where anyone could dance if they wanted to.

It was dusk as the girls wandered through the fair grounds, sharing a stick of candy floss and just enjoying the swirl of colours and sounds around them-and then someone called Lily’s name.

“Hey, Lily!”

They turned to see the boy Hazel recognised as James Potter, along with three other boys all dressed in Muggle clothing. Hazel noticed that James was much more handsome up close, knowing now what the Hogwarts girls giggled about in the loos. Lily hated it, the way they fawned over him.

“Potter.” She nodded curtly, eyes narrowing slightly. “Fancy seeing you here.”

“We heard about the fair, thought we’d check it out.” James was grinning at Lily in a way Lily recognised-he really did like Lily, despite what she said.