Chapter Twenty-two | Hester House, August 1 1980

Chapter Twenty-Two

Hester House, August 1st 1980

            Soft light poured through the east windows of Hester House, falling into the basinet, frothy lace surrounding the edges. Inside two infants lay, only a few hours old and so beautiful bathed in gold.

“They’re so sweet Hazel.” Molly cooed, leaning over the basinet “And so different in looks already…extraordinary.”

From her bed Hazel could look into the basinet, marvel over the little lives she had created. A boy and girl; one light, one dark.

“What names have you chosen?” asked Molly; she directed the question across the room, were the men sat. “Do you know Winston, Remus?”

“I don’t.” confessed Winston “But Remus does.”

Remus shrugged a Molly stared at him, wide eyed “She asked for my help.” He said quietly “I was honoured.”

“Hazel?” Molly asked “Tell me quickly, I’ve been dying to know!”

Slipping out of bed, shooing away Remus’ hesitant help, Hazel leaned over the basinet “Remus helped me choose this little lad’s name.” she picked him up, brushing strands of his golden hair back from his forehead so she could kiss it gently “Andrew Winston Severus Bowen.”

“You gave him my name?” asked Winston hoarsely.

“Your name, our fathers name-I was torn between yours and Severus’, so I gave him both.” She smiled and rocked Andrew gently. “Besides, I’ve always liked long names.”

“May I?” Remus asked, motioning to the baby girl.

“Of course.” Hazel shared a smile with Remus as she sat back on the bed, holding Andrew close to her breast.

“It’s lovely.” Molly cooed “And the wee lassie?”

“Sonia Lily Bowen.”

Molly gave her friend a gentle hug, being careful of the baby boy “They’re beautiful children with equally beautiful names-congratulations darling.”

“Thank you Molly.” She gave her a one armed hug “I’ll bring them round for tea soon.”

“Oh no! I’ll bring Ron here-maybe the twins if you’re up to it.”

Molly retrieved her cloak and said goodbye, and Remus offered to walk her to apparation point. It was then just Winston, Hazel and the twins.

“You did really well,” Winston said, helping her get comfortable with the twins. “I’m going to go make some lunch, okay?”

She nodded, and the door closed softly behind her brother as he left. Lying on her side, Hazel had the babies cuddled close, lying on their backs and fast asleep. Alone with them for the first time, Hazel let herself cry a little; her children had no father, no one but her to watch over them.