Chapter Twelve | Godric's Hollow, December 25th 1978

Chapter Twelve

Godric’s Hollow, December 25th 1978

            Snow fell softly over the small town of Godric’s Hollow, allowing Hazel to walk briskly through the streets without leaving footprints. It was Christmas, the church was brightly lit and Muggles were inside, singing to their hearts content. It was an early service, since most of the residents were either elderly or had small children. Hazel however was not going to the church, but to the pub.

It was small and dimly lit, booths lining the walls and a sign that creaked and bells that jangled when you opened the door. Sliding into a comfortable booth, Hazel ordered a scotch and sat back to wait.

It was only five, and she wasn’t expected at Lily and James’ until six, but Hazel already wanted to leave. It was growing dark outside, and she wasn’t fond of walking in the dark. For someone who so often worked in dark places, it was odd; but it had been Hazel’s fear since she was little, still living in the orphanage.

“Why on earth did you want to meet here?” the disgusted voice of Severus reached her, and Hazel looked up, unable to help the smile blossoming at the sight of her eldest friend.

“It’s close to Lily’s, and I’d rather not disparate after a drink.” She patted the seat beside her, much as she had done in August, and grinned “Sit, Sev; have a drink, eat the peanuts. Tell me what you’ve been up to.”

Sitting down gingerly, Severus eyed Hazel suspiciously; he had been avoiding her, as they both knew. He didn’t know what to start with, so he asked: “How’s Wendell?”

“Wendell is fine.” Said Hazel briskly “How’s the Death Eaters?”

Severus winced, hearing the ice in her voice “Really, Elle, it’s not that bad.”

“I suppose this is all just a game to you, eh Severus?”

“No.”

“Then get your wand out of your arse and leave.” Hazel’s dark eyes, usually so full of warmth and laughter, were cold as she regarded him harshly “We’re not kids anymore, Sev. Not at Hogwarts, there’s no Dumbledore to protect you; following your little friends about is not a future for someone as bright as you.”

“Oh really?” asked Severus dryly “Then why did I see you at the meeting last week?”

Hazel stiffened, smile freezing “I am trying to do some good in this world; you are making it worse.”

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice. 
” Severus smiled at her, hoping to win back that smile he loved so much.

“Robert Frost,” Hazel was fighting back her smile, and took a sip of her scotch to hide it. “Since when do you read Muggle poetry?”