Epilogue | Privet Drive, October 31, 1981

Dedicated to those who know Hazel is that one person who is of the purest of hearts, yet in the darkest of lives.

If you are someone like Hazel, then I applaud you and say this, as Hazel told Harry:

Don't lose your hope.

Epilogue

Privet Drive, October 31st 1981

            The oddest of happenings occurred on a normal, pretty little Muggle Street on Hallows Eve, and if any Muggles were awake they’d have been entirely baffled. Calls would have been made to electric companies, neighbours would have discussed it over fences and maybe it might’ve even made the morning paper, somewhere in the far back with the advertisements for plumbing companies and bad plays.

Fortunately, no Muggles were awake at that time, and the only people who saw it were a tabby cat with the most unusual markings, a man with twinkling eyes and half moon glasses and one tragic young woman.

As this one tragic young woman made her way down the street, carefully counting down the numbers as the lights went out one by one; she felt hopelessness flow through her. As the numbers slowly dwindled, Hazel saw just what she was looking for; a neat little house, its garden just a little to clean for her tastes, and three figures standing on the stoop.

“Albus.” She called, standing at the end of the driveway, arms crossed mostly to give the impression of someone holding her than out of anger “I believe that is my godson you are putting on a stoop.”

Smiling sadly, Albus Dumbledore turned and viewed Hazel like a kind yet a little disappointed grandfather might “Yes, I believe it is Hazel dear.”

“And why is he on a stoop and not with me, on the way home?” she asked coldly.

McGonagall narrowed her eyes “That’s true Albus – wouldn’t Hazel be a much better choice-”

“As much as I would love to put Harry in your care, Hazel,” said Dumbledore kindly “I’m afraid that is not what is best.”

“Not best?” now furious, Hazel strode forward, eyes blazing “What is better than a home and someone who loves him, someone who knew his parents better than anyone? How are these Muggles – who have always hated and despised magic – be what is best for him?”

Sighing, Dumbledore put a comforting hand on Hazel’s shoulder “I know you are mourning the Potter’s, Hazel -”

Mourning?” she hissed “My best friend is dead, Albus. Do you know the last thing she said to me?” her voice lowered, shaking with the horror of it all. “ ‘Promise me that you’ll look after Harry. If anything happens, just look out for him. Please.’ And I promised.” She whispered “I promised Lily I would look after him, that I would keep him safe…and I will not go back on my promise.”

 “Albus…” said McGonagall pleadingly.

“I know what you are all thinking,” he said “But he is not just Harry Potter any more – he is the boy who lived. This is what’s best.”

Gasping for breathe, Hazel shook her head, curls swaying “Please Albus, he is still my Godson. These Muggles…they are not what anyone deserves, especially Harry.”

“I have made my decision, Hazel.” Said Dumbledore with a certain finality “You may say goodbye, but then you must leave. You must promise me not to look for him, either – he is, as far as titles go, no longer your Godson. He is just a boy.”

Tears poured down her cheeks, and Hazel hurriedly tried to wipe them away “Please…Albus…I promised…”

“Say goodbye, Hazel.”

Nodding, she kneeled by the stoop and brushed Harry’s scar; it was still red, but didn’t look painful. “Goodbye Harry,” she whispered “I won’t be far, I promise…I promised your Mummy, too…she loved you so much, Harry…”

“Hazel.” Said Dumbledore.

“Just one more minute.” She whispered, leaning down to press a gentle kiss to Harry’s forehead. “Don’t lose hope, Harry. If anything…don’t lose your hope.”

 "Well," said Dumbledore finally, "that's that. We've no business staying here. We may as well go and join the celebrations."

"Yeah," said Hagrid in a very muffled voice, "I'll be takin' Sirius his bike back. G'night, Professor McGonagall -- Professor Dumbledore, sir. Hazel."

Wiping his streaming eyes on his jacket sleeve, Hagrid swung himself onto the motorcycle and kicked the engine into life; with a roar it rose into the air and off into the night.

"I shall see you soon, I expect, Professor McGonagall," said Dumbledore, nodding to her. Professor McGonagall blew her nose in reply. “And Hazel…I will be by to see you and the twins soon.” Hazel only nodded.

Dumbledore turned and walked back down the street. On the corner he stopped and took out the silver Put-Outer. He clicked it once, and twelve balls of light sped back to their street lamps so that Privet

Drive glowed suddenly orange and he could make out a tabby cat slinking around the corner at the other end of the street. He could just see the bundle of blankets on the step of number four.

"Good luck, Harry," he murmured. He turned on his heel and with a swish of his cloak, he was gone.

A breeze ruffled the neat hedges of Privet Drive, which lay silent and tidy under the inky sky, the very last place you would expect astonishing things to happen. Harry Potter rolled over inside his blankets without waking up. One small hand closed on the letter beside him and he slept on, not knowing he was special, not knowing he was famous, not knowing he would be woken in a few hours' time by Mrs. Dursley's scream as she opened the front door to put out the milk bottles, nor that he would spend the next few weeks being prodded and pinched by his cousin Dudley... He couldn't know that at this very moment, people meeting in secret all over the country were holding up their glasses and saying in hushed voices: "To Harry Potter -- the boy who lived!"

What he didn’t know that for the next ten years, Hazel Bowen would be watching over him, in pain every moment knowing that she had broken her promise to her best friend and Harry’s mother.

He didn’t know that every day she would look up at the stars and apologize, because she had never stopped living in the shadows, and feared she never would.

A/N: So! That's done now...on to the next book! 

Question: What has been your favourite thing about LIS, and what would you like to see in the sequel?

Sneak peek up for Existing in Radiance soon!

Rose<3