Chapter Twenty-Three | Hester House, January 1981

Hester House, January 1981

            Winter was taking over the land, snow burying Hester House; the woods were a winter wonderland, and though New Years had been over for a few days already, a hint of Christmas still hung in the air.

The living room still had the Christmas tree and the three babies, only five months old, lay on their backs staring up at the lights. They may be young, but already the bond had been sealed-they were friends for life.

“Look at them,” Lily cooed, letting Sonia grab her finger; the boys were asleep on either side of her, making little night time noises. “You’d think they were triplets!”

“Please no.” James groaned “I adore our son, Lils-but three babies at once? I don’t think I could.”

Hazel laughed and joined her friend and the babies on the floor “You have no idea James.”

Picking up her son, Lily smiled as he let out a little squeak of protest; he was sleepy, and Harry didn’t like being woken up. “It’s okay lovie,” Lily crooned “Mummy’s here; it’s time to go though.”

Chuckling, James accepted Harry from his wife “He doesn’t want to leave his friends.”

“Imagine how much more stubborn he’ll be in a few years.” Lily was about to get her cloak when Remus appeared in the door, almost knocking her down.

“Sorry Lily!” he said, steadying them “Didn’t see you there.”

“Remus?” Lily glanced at Hazel, raising her eyebrows “I didn’t know you were coming tonight.”

He shrugged nervously and shifted around her, towards Hazel “Oh, you know…sometimes I-uh-drop in.”

“Oh really.” Lily frowned “Hazel, I think I forgot my bowl in the kitchen. James-why don’t you tell Remus about that-uh-thing that happened this morning?”

“What thing?” James asked, furrowing his brows; glancing at his wife’s pointed stare, his eyes widened “Oh! That thing, yeah! Sure Lils.”

“Watch the kids.” She said and tugged Hazel out of the room and down the hall to the front entryway. “Hazel, how many times a week does Remus ‘drop in’?”

Hazel shifted nervously and played with her sweater “Well, maybe every other day or so?”

“Why?”

“He helps out!” she said, a little defensive “Sometimes he puts the kids to bed with me, or comes when they’re already asleep-you know.”

Lily wanted to be happy about this, but worried for both her friends; Hazel was damaged, Remus was hopeful. It couldn’t end well. “I don’t know.”