Chapter 2- We stay here for now

Chapter 2

~~~~~~

"Adam, what do we do?" Alesa asked as I stood. I stared at my armor and walked over to it. Next to it was a set I made for Alesa in case of an emergency, with her being pregnant and all, I wonder how long it'll fit...I grabbed it anyway and walked over to her. 

"Keep this is reach. In case we need to escape, we can escape without risk of getting bit. We stay here for now." I told her. She looked up at me.

"But, Adam I'm pregnant I won't be able to have it on forever." She said worriedly.

"It'll work out. I promise. For all I know we won't even have to leave Live Oaks." I told her gently. "Hang tight, I'll run to the market and buy some supplies for the outbreak." I grabbed a sword and strapped it to my side along with some emeralds.

"Bolt the door. I'll be back shortly." I promised. 

"Okay, be careful." She nodded. I gave her a goofy smile, making her giggle a bit, before walking out. I walked down the street towards the Market, the only people out were ones who seemed to be making a run. I'll have to get there quickly before it get's too crowded. 

If my calculations are correct the virus should spread for weeks. If we're lucky we may be able to get through this without a problem. But that's based off previous experiences from the squid outbreak close to 7 years ago. 

That said, I made it quickly to the market. I have about 576 emeralds. May be just enough to buy a few guns and extra supplies. Guns, food, extra water bottles and canteens, and of course diapers and clothes for Mason...Alesa would be better at the clothes shopping though. I should bring her tomorrow for clothes for Mason. 

I made it to the town and looked around. It was already packed. With a sigh I started walking down towards the guns, until I felt a tug at my shirt. I stopped and turned. A little girl around 7 was looking up at me. I blinked from behind my glasses. 

"Hi?" I stated in the form of a question. She blinked once.

"You're the squid slayer, Sky right?" She asked. I didn't answer.

"You'll protect us right?" Her eyes glistened with tear, she was truly horrified. I noticed people started staring, I could tell from the silence. I heard whispers.

"It's Sky, he'll protect the village." 

"The squid slayer! Of course why did I worry in the first place?" 

I licked my lips nervously then crouched down in front of the girl and placed a hand on her head.

"I'll do everything I can." I grinned. Tears pricked the corners of her eyes as she smiled back. Every one bustled with excitement now.

What if I can't protect them? I wondered quietly. Could I really defend the whole village? One man against a spreading virus? I sighed. No time to think about that now. Right now supplies is most important. I walked into the gun shop. Lot's of guns and ammo were around, along with magazines, suppressors, grips, everything that I needed. There were even hunting knifes. 2 guns, 2 pistols and 2 knives should about do it. Extra ammo, magazines and suppressors should about do it. I looked around before finally deciding on 2 Shotguns, 2 pistols and two iron hunting knives. I placed them on the counter then grabbed ammo, magazines and suppressors. It added up to around 174 emeralds. I'll have 402 emeralds left. I pulled out the necessary amount of emeralds and paid for the supplies. I put the two shotguns over my shoulders, stuffed a knife into each boot and placed the pistols in the belt.