13. Headaches

Without wings or knowledge of how to drive a car, Tabbris was reduced to walking. He didn't make it back to Bartholomew's until morning. When he arrived he was ushered immediately into Bartholomew's office where Bartholomew himself stood impaitiently waiting.

"Where were you?" Bartholomew asked irritated. "Where's Luna?"

"Dead," Tabbris replied. "Malachi killed them all."

Bartholomew was silent. He narrowed his eyes at Tabbris. "But not you."

"I can defend myself, unlike your assistant and her guards," Tabbris told him evenly.

"What are you trying to say?" Bartholomew asked, daring Tabbris to speak.

"Nothing," Tabbris replied expressionlessly.

Then Tabbris got a headache of sorts. It hit him like a train. He started to panic and he didn't know why. He needed to be somewhere. He had to. He began pacing around the room, walking in frenzied circles. Bartholomew stared at him confused.

"What are you doing?" Bartholomew asked.

Tabbris ran a hand through his hair and ran to the doors. The two new guards stopped him.

"Move," Tabbris ordered through gritted teeth. "I have to go."

"You're not going anywhere," Bartholomew said menacingly. "Sit down!"

"Are you going to stop me Bartholomew?"

"Yes," Bartholomew replied glaring at him.

"Then I will enjoy seeing you try," Tabbris said with a smile.

He flicked his wrist and Bartholomew flew across the room and crashed into a wall. He turned to the guards and flicked them easily away from the doors.

Bartholomew laughed, deranged, on the floor.

"You always were an idiot," Bartholomew said still laughing. "You still don't know do you?"

Tabbris turned to him itching to leave, but dying to know what he had to say.

"Know what?" he demanded.

"What Naomi did." Bartholomew smiled. "Your reprogramming. You're just another pawn, Tabbris!"

Tabbris turned away from him and walked out the door. He couldn't wait any longer. He had to go.

"Tabbris isn't even your name!" Bartholomew shouted after him.

Tabbris ran to the elevator and pressed the button multiple times willing it to go faster. When it reached the ground floor, he practically fell out and sprinted to the door. He walked out into the outdoor parking lot of Bartholomew's building and walked around holding his head in his hands. He needed to be somewhere. He had a responsibility, and he had an overwhelming feeling he was failing. Then it came to him. It struck him like lightning. Kevin.

He opened his wings painfully. He had no choice. He flew instantly to the bunker where he knew Kevin was. When he arrived, he slammed into the cement of the bunker's entry. He writhed on the floor in pain while he gasped for breath, and felt as blood dripped down his face and body. He looked over to the library, gritting his teeth. Kevin's cauterized eyes stared back at him. Tabbris closed his eyes and slammed his fist into the ground. He had failed. He didn't know why, but he knew he had failed.

Dean was already there shaking Kevin's dead body. He barely glanced at Tabbris when he appeared. Dean's face had a few stray tears falling from his eyes. He finally stopped shaking Kevin and stood up slowly. His face was contorted in rage. He ran over to the injured Tabbris and kicked him hard in the stomach.