seven

"I'll be taking what is mine now." He said easily, as if he was a friend.
His eyes narrowed, contradictory to his eerily friendly voice.

What is his.

The words spread through me slowly, uncomprehendingly.
The voice of the man who would be my murderer.
And so much more -

My throat tightened and I was spinning. The words ripped through me,
but I hadn't understood the meaning of them.

What did he want?
What did he want?

Oh.

Me.

Me.

Here to claim me.
Here to take me.

Here to hurt me.
Here to kill me.

Newt growled, his face stony,
his hand brushing the hilt of his knife.

A throaty laugh resounded around us, echoing. "Are you going to attempt to fight? I thought we had a deal ... I don't want to hurt anybody tonight."

Tonight.

Newt's fingers curled around my hand, his lips at my ear. "Get behind me." And I clung to his hand with a ferocity I had rarely known. He was something steady in the moment of insanity - he was my rock in the shifting sands of this second.

It was hard to move, It was hard to walk. I was defenseless. And I couldn't help him.

"Are you going to fight me, Newt?" Asked Gally, almost incredulously. "A weak imitation of a real hero, who are you but an echo of an opponent? You even stole his girlfriend." He laughed. "You couldn't even protect Jeanne. Do you wish to join her today? What would she think of your - ah, new affections."

Newt trembled in anger, releasing my hand. He clutched his knife. "You're not taking her anywhere."

"And you think you can protect her? You're weak." Gally's voice echoed from the left of us. I saw a shadow of him, looming over Newt.

"You're wrong!" Newt shouted, slashing his knife wildly to the left. But the knife slipped through Gally, whisking away the image of his masked form.

"Powerless," His voice resonated from the darkness.

Newt, confused at his disappearance, took a step back - unsure to where Gally was going to strike. The thickness of the air, at that moment was very painful.

He reappeared behind Newt, knocking out a leg from under him. He fell to his knees, with a snarl. Gally placed a foot between his shoulder blades, and kicked him to the ground. His chin smacked the ground hard and blood trickled from his lips.

"No." Newt said defiantly. Gally kneeled next to his head, enticing his long fingers through his hair. He lifted his head off the ground, whispering something in Newt's ear which made him cringe. Then he threw his head back down with a sickening crack.

A scream caught in my throat,
my hand flying to my mouth.
His knife skittered across the floor,
landing in front of me.

My hands shook with fear - there was very little I could do. Gally's penetrating gaze turned to me, his eyes wide as if he was enjoying himself. I picked up the knife uneasily.