Chapter 43: Demon World

"I will kill you! I will rip your throat out and feed you your spleen! I will castrate you and quarter you with your own gonads!"

Tora's shrieks bounced off the black marble walls, echoing along the high ceiling. Her claws raked across the smooth surfaces, leaving no marks.

The hall remained empty. No matter how loudly she screamed or smashed against the walls, nobody took notice of her. The small flaming lamps held by the stout demons threw dancing shadows along her path.

She could kill Cimerus. It didn't matter she was in no fit form to hunt down even a Furball. The human world went to hell and he had the audacity to drag her away when her friends needed her the most.

It all seemed like a terrible nightmare.

Damien's last smile hovered in her mind. You're such a strong girl. It's okay. Green eyes wide, trustful and relieved that he'd reached her – that he'd saved her.

And she left him for dead.

He couldn't be dead. He couldn't.

"Let me go back!" she shrieked. She slammed her palms on the rock-hard walls. "They need me! Let me go!"

And she was met with nothing but the dying echoes of her cries and a cold silence.

It was hard to tell how long she stayed there. Time wasn't a concept. She knelt on the floor, still as a statue, head hanging. Her hearts slowed to her normal rate over time. The thoughts swirled like a snowstorm, incomprehensible and raw with emotions, the panic and anger eventually waning. All that remained was a silent, burning fury.

"Are you enjoying the show, Azyazel?" she said in an icy voice.

Almost without a sound, Cimerus's general moved out of the shadows. His flaming hair eliminated the nearby darkness. The glow reflected off the nearby marble walls.

"Senses sharp as ever."

Tora straightened her back, not looking at the scarlet-faced demon, who had plucked her so unceremoniously from the battle, emerge fully from one of the portals.

"Considering you've returned, am I right in assuming the Frostites have conquered the human realm?" Her voice was empty of emotions.

"It is the eventual outcome."

Ever the sadist.

"You are disappointed there wasn't much of a fight."

"It was a very one-sided battle."

She pushed aside his implications. Straightening to her feet, she made her way down the hallway. Small sparkles on the marble surfaces winked at her.

She stopped when she realised Azyazel was following her.

"Did Cimerus tell you to protect him from me?"

"No."

He didn't elaborate. She narrowed her eyes at the shifting figures at the other end of the hallway. The small demons averted her dangerous eyes, blending into the background again. She sniffed. Nothing but the strong scent of demons.

She shot her arm sideways. The clawed hand elongated and thinned. The diamond end embedded into the chest of one of the tiny demons. It dropped its torch. The fire extinguished on landing. It exhaled and sagged. Tora withdrew, taking the corpse along with her, and sucked its flesh in. She sighed, feeling the energy returning, and licked her lips.

"What made Cimerus even entertain the idea of me supporting his cause?"

"You're a Shifter."

She laughed, a cold, mirthless sound.