Chapter 15: Whose Alliance?

He was on Tora within a second. She didn't have time to react. A fist came at her and rammed into her stomach. Her organs shifted on impact. A rising sense of acute nausea washed over her body, tightening her throat, and the pressure in her head made her eyes bulge.

The hit raised her off the ground completely; a crack whipped through the air.

A kick to the side of her ribs sent her flying across the helipad. She barrelled through the pile of filled metal bins, scattering them like bowling pins. Tora slammed into the metal barrier running alongside the edge of the roof. The metal clanged, bending on impact. Further cracks exploded from her spine, sending pins and needles shooting down to her legs. The lower half of her body tingled.

Tora coughed out a mouthful of blood. She could taste the metallic sting where the back of her nose joined the throat. Wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, she forced her legs to move. They screamed in protest, shaking uncontrollably. She hoped they wouldn't give. The pain pulsed steadily from the impact point in her spine. Wind blew by, giving her little relief. Her t-shirt stuck to her chest.

The boy, unscathed, still had that infuriating smile on his face.

"Your fighting style hasn't changed in all these years, Lilitha."

"Stop calling me Lilitha," spat Tora. "What the hell are you?"

"The same as you."

Scowling at yet another cryptic answer, Tora feigned to the right and swung a kick from the left. She was too slow. He blocked it with a lazy hand. His movement moved like water. One knock to the back of her already weakened knees sent her crashing to the ground again. Her head banged against the concrete. Stars exploded in front of her eyes.

"There's more than this," said the boy, inspecting his fingers. Tora bared her teeth at him, getting up and wincing all the way. "Or are you going to fight like an ant all the way?"

She could use her liquid. None of her hits were landing and she was too injured. She couldn't see another way. There was no way this person could be human, either. The strength and skill were unnatural.

What the hell does he want, anyway? There were only two types of people that wanted her: demons wanted her dead and Ross wanted to thrash her.

And this guy was neither.

"Ci...rus?" she found herself saying. She clapped a hand over her mouth, sitting up. What was that?! Was she losing control?

The boy looked as if Christmas had come early.

"Cyrus?" He cocked his head. "I suppose in human tongue, I would have that name."

Cyrus moved in, an elated grin stretching from ear to ear.

Tora spat out another mouthful of blood. Her head hurt so bad it was like a hammer was smashing repeatedly against her occiput. Her muscles trembled, too worn out to put in more fighting. Cyrus cast a shadow over her, his golden eyes scanning her as if she were some fascinating creature.

She stared up at him. The yellow in his eyes appeared to swirl in a hypnotising manner.

"There is so much to catch up on, so much for you to know. I can't wait. We can—"

Tora took her chance. With the last of her strength, she formed a forcefield around the scattered metal bins and threw them at him. He didn't even so much as give a backward glance. Clangs filled the air. The bins bounced off an invisible wall and then off each other, before hitting the ground and rolling away.

"That was so rude, Lilitha," said Cyrus, reproachful. "I was talking."

That was it. This man's a psychopath.