Chapter 14: An Unexpected Visitor

Fatigue weighed her limbs down like lead. Dead demons lay at her feet, smoke escaping through the tears in the human corpses. Tora panted, covered in sweat, blood, and various body bits. Her hair was plastered across her face. Most of her bleeding had stemmed.

Before her, more reanimated dead stumbled into the corridor.

"For god's sake," said Tora, exasperated. It seemed to be endless.

In the back of her head, a dull throbbing reminded her of the stragglers fighting to escape her forcefield. Time was running out and if she didn't step up her game, she was going to die there.

As the next wave came at her, it was all or nothing. The golden liquid poured. Electricity shot through her body, invigorating all her muscle fibres. One moment she was on the ground, the next she was in the air.

The demons reacted sluggishly. Tora's leg lashed out like lightning. Human heads caved in and demon brains coursed through the air. Landing on all fours like a cat, Tora rushed forward. She rammed her shoulder into the first demon. The impact snapped its spine, nearly tearing the creature into two. The shock jarred her shoulder, radiating down her arm. Ignoring the pain, she assaulted the next monster with a flurry of punches.

Dead bodies hitting the ground marked her progress through the crowd. She took no notice of the cracks of her own bones ringing through the air. Her eyes were spaced out and she moved as though in a trance, weaving between the staggering demons and dealing devastating damage to the study monsters. They fell like flies. Blood sprayed at regular intervals onto the windows and ceilings. One sweep of her hand created a forcefield harder than concrete, crushing the five demons into pulp. Minced meat splashed onto the smooth floor.

Tora watched all of these as though they were videos replaying on a television screen. Separate from the events, shadows flitted across her mind. Shapes expanded and shrunk in the peripherals of her sight. Flickering flames surrounded her, but there was no heat. Whispers echoed all around, nonsensical, but it was about her. She sensed it.

She tore through the remaining creatures in a blur. Her shoulders heaved. Standing amidst the sea of smoking corpses, she was oblivious to the organs splattering onto the floor from the walls. Voices continued to murmur, taunting her, goading her. The golden energy gave her this power, and the speakers wanted that. This was hers. It was right, and it felt so good.

An overwhelming sense of triumph and glee washed over her. She licked her lips. The metallic taste spread over her tongue, heightening her excitement. Adrenaline pumped through her veins. The nostalgia gave her a warmth in her heart.

Lilitha...

Her mouth opened in an 'o' shape. The voice was so sweet, so familiar. Years of happiness were all that came with the caller. She had never been so thrilled since that time she'd...

...What?

Her mind came to a blank. She knew the speaker but she couldn't recall the voice or the face. She couldn't even tell if it was a male or a female.

Lilitha...

Only that it was a voice she knew and loved.

Dazed, she took tentative steps up the stairs at the bac of the ward, passing by several 'staff only' signs. She trusted this person.

"Tora!"

All would be right once she was reunited.

"Where are you going, you impulsive wench? Answer me or there'll be hell to pay!"

Step by step, Tora continued to ascend until at the top, she faced a fire door. On instinct, she raised her hand and pushed. The door swung open.

Sunlight shone, blinding her. Blinking and disorientated, she attempted to shield her eyes. Cold air whipped her face. The city spread as far as the eye could see. Houses congregated like bricks around the outside of the hospital, evolving into the multi-storey flats in the distance.