Chapter 51: Piricca's Surprise

"We have lost the Sentinel trail."

Tora felt Cimerus's half-disappointed, half-pissed-off sigh reverberate through her head. She would have echoed that sentiment had he not sounded so much like Beiomolt, and she couldn't help but tense at the familiar sound. But the enraged tirade from her father never came; the fatal thump of a fist taking it out on a poor passing demon never reached her ears. This was a different era now. Beiomolt was gone.

"Our troops have mostly made it, but there are no Sentinels here. It seemed they used some kind of Lyre magic to create hollow men to lure Abaddeon; they were never here in the first place."

"So we are back to the beginning," said Azyazel, not without a hint of irritation in his voice.

"Be calm," said Abaddeon in his toneless voice. "We are closer than ever. We are in the correct realm."

"And we aren't really back to the beginning," came Piricca's flirty voice. "There's a surprise for you, Lilitha."

"There are more pressing matters." Tora frowned. "And the last time you gave me a surprise we nearly died in the world of Fae of the Greens."

"This is better! I'm sure you'll be pleased—"

"Save the pleasantries for later, Piricca." Cimerus's voice was sharper than usual. "We have not much time. The Frostites' presence has put a significant block in our plans... we need to plan further."

With that, he eased out of their minds. Tora shook her head. It had been a while since her mind had connected with a demon, and she couldn't get over the unpleasant sensation. No, it wasn't that speaking with these demons that were the problem; it was how deeply her father used to probe into all the generals' heads back then that made her uncomfortable. No doubt that had contributed to Maraduc's downfall.

When they returned to the Shifter realm, Abaddeon paused before they even set foot into the castle. He raised his head. Even though she could see nothing, Tora knew he was taking in scents through the pores on his face.

"What is it?" Tora said, wary. She wouldn't put it pass Markl to leave a surprise for them. Abaddeon remained relaxed, his head tilted.

"I believe Piricca has procured food for us."

Tora brushed past him. It wasn't unexpected for Piricca to lighten up the mood with something like food or fresh prey. Much as she loved killing, she also believed their survival was to be celebrated, and she certainly wouldn't let something like Sentinels bring her streak down.

Tora, however, was in no mood for frivolities.

Her claws clicked with each step on the glittering black stone floor. The tiny demons along the corridors bowed out of the way on sensing her brewing irritation. Abaddeon kept up in silence beside her. Tora's tail flicked left and right, her shoulders tight. Her fists clenched and unclenched.

"You are anxious," said Abaddeon.

Tora ignored him. Her steps echoed along the corridor.

"You might have been gone for four red moons, Lilitha, and there is no denying your time away has changed you, but deep down you are still a Shifter, and a Shifter general, at that."

They approached the conference room.

"Whatever personal vendetta you might have, you have more things to consider now."

She whipped around, her cheeks flushed.

"You are the second person to insinuate that I feel loyalty towards the Shifters, and here's some news for you, assface," she said, heated, "I don't give a crap who lives and who dies. Not even me. All I want is Markl's head on a plate for what he did to my friends. That's the only reason I'm here. I might still physically be demon, but I'm much more than that now."