Chapter 52: Flesh and Blood

"Now that the Sentinels know we are on their tail, we have to be on the alert. Those hollow fakes are only the beginning."

Azyazel scowled at those words. His eyes were still burning with humiliation, although Abaddeon remained stoic.

"What's the plan now?" said Tora.

"Your pet claims he knows where the Artefact is," said Piricca, studying her fingernails with half-closed eyes.

"We're not her pets!" said Carlos, flushing. "We're her friends!"

"The queen does not have friends."

Tora coloured. She knew Piricca was only stating what was true for the leaders of Shifters – or indeed, most demonic species. Eali had friends. Specktacles had comrades. Shifters only had prey. The old Tora would have laughed at the notion of friendship.

"She doesn't understand humans," said Tora out of the corner of her mouth.

Carlos pulled a face at Piricca, who bared her teeth with a hiss. He shuddered.

"I know where the thing is," he said in a low voice, although all the demons heard him perfectly. "It's in the army barracks."

Tora ogled at him. He told her about witnessing Markl research the facility that fateful night – albeit skipping over the extra details after Ross elbowed him.

"But why there? There's nothing there. Nothing ever happens there."

"That's not entirely true." Ross looked up, staring straight at Tora's eyes. "We found you there. Two years ago."

Tora's jaw fell open.

"Wow, you never told me this," Carlos said. Ross glared at him.

"Oh yes, perfect discussion topic over a cup of tea. 'Remember the day we first met? We were knee-deep in dung and half-dead monsters and I almost killed you. More biscuits?'"

"You saw the Artefact that day?" asked Tora.

Ross shook her head and ran a hand through her straggly red hair. "It was just you. And a shed load of demons. There shouldn't be anything there – that's what people think. Even we haven't been back since. It's the best hiding place for anything important."

"I'd have thought a research lab would be the best option," said Carlos.

"That's why it's empty. It's too obvious."

"But that's not the only lab."

"The Frostites haven't reached there yet," said Cimerus, who had been silent until that point, observing the humans with odd fascination. "It's pretty open to Sentinel invasion, particularly if the Shifters are still preoccupied in the city."

"What do you think?" she said.

"You know I know nothing about humans and their idiosyncrasies. That's why you're so valuable."

"I wouldn't trust the little human," said Azyazel with disdain.

"Who are you calling little?!"

"I trust Carlos," said Tora, glaring at Azyazel. "I trust his honesty and instincts. Will our troops be ready to infiltrate the barracks, Cimerus?"

Cimerus locked eyes with hers for a few moments, golden stares boring into each other. A small smile curled at the edge of his lips.

"Abaddeon will need to scout out the area first. Considering what was in store just now, I wouldn't put it past the Sentinels to have a worse trap for us."