Chapter 9: A Tragic Heroine

"I cannot do this, my sweetheart," the woman said tragically. Her long-lashed baby blues blinked, glistening with unshed tears. Full lips pouted and then trembled.

Looking anguished, the muscular model-like man swept her up in his arms and planted a soppy kiss on those lips.

"But we must, Belinda. Our future rests upon your shoulders – you must use your gifts. For the greater good!" he said, in his melodramatic husky voice.

"Oh, my darling. My heart breaks without you! The world splinters in your absence. My world is so dark!"

Tora made vomiting noises in the background. Damien and Carlos shushed her at once, not even bothering to turn around from the sofa. Both sat in rigid poses, Carlos with his legs crossed in front of him and Damien with his chin on his knees. Rolling her eyes, Tora squared her shoulders to deal with the arduous task at hand.

Snap. The plastic cover to the pack of minced beef was ripped off. Bang. The beef smacked onto the sizzling frying pan, spraying oil everywhere. Swearing as the hot droplets hit her skin, Tora snatched the handle of the pan and stirred with vigour, with little regard for the bits of meat that flew across the counter and onto the floor.

"I hope there'll be enough food left to actually eat at the end of that endeavour," remarked Ross as she passed by. Tora mimicked her in silence, stabbing with the wooden spoon at the food. Ross hadn't picked on her again to train since a few days ago, but Tora knew it was only a matter of time before she was made to fight her again. And she wasn't keen to be forced into that corner again.

"I love you, Belinda, but I must let you go."

"What's he making her do?" Tora said, emptying half the pepper pot into the meat. "Sleep with the other guy? At last?"

"Not yet!" Carlos said, excited. "Belinda's torn between the hot vampire and the werewolf who well and truly loves her. And that other buff vampire. And she has to use her gifts at last to save the world!"

"Oh, so never mind the world's going to hell. The plot highlight is which hottie she's going to pick, because romance is all that matters?"

"Don't be a spoilsport! Isn't this the sort of thing human girls dream of?"

"Why are you asking me?"

Romantic music ensued, punctuated by regular sobs and gasps of despair. The next time Tora glanced over again, the stricken female main character had tears running down her face. Her make-up was perfect and not one strand of her auburn hair was out of place. Belinda had taken her clothes off – the camera panning to carefully maintain her modesty – and she shimmered, on the brink of invisibility.

"She's doing exactly the same thing as you. Why the hell are you even watching this crap? We're literally superheroes ourselves and you find this interesting? Humans pretending to be like us?"

"It's a relaxing form of entertainment," Damien said, defensive, pink spots appearing on his cheeks. "Good for chilling out after we've been so exhausted by demons. You should know."

"Yeah, 'cos all the women do is sit by and wait for the men to save the day," Tora grumbled, stirring the spaghetti with the same vigour as she had when stabbing the minced beef.

"I didn't realise you were such a feminist, Tora," said Markl. He had a small smile on his face when she glowered at him from across the room. His hands were flying across the keyboard, although he kept half an eye on the television programme at the same time. "Perhaps you should join the humans on one of their equality rallies."